PDA

View Full Version : Crumbs, Scraps, and Morsels

jenny_islander
05-25-2008, 08:03 PM
This thread is about using up the very last bit of everything. I recently read that the average American throws away about a pound of perfectly usable food every day. This has made me even more determined to avoid wasting what God has given us. So far, I have found the following uses for bits of this and that:

The salt from the bottom of a bag of pretzels: This is delicious seasoned salt with a nice toasted flavor. Use when preparing vegetables, eggs, potatoes, rice, or bread.

Sliced garlic from a jar of dill pickles: Nice tidbit to put on cooked rice or baked potatoes. Perhaps sprinkled over cooled cooked in a bento? I would also like to try it in my next salmon salad sandwich.

The liquid from a can of wild salmon: Drizzle over rice cooked without salt. YUMMY! But very, um, fragrant.

The liquid from the bottom of a bowl of microwaved frozen veggies: Pour off carefully into a freezer-safe container. When the container is full, throw the contents into your next pot of household stock.

The inevitable inedible chunks of broccoli stem from a bag of frozen veggies: Stir-fried, these become tender. Or save in the freezer for making stock.

Fat and/or bones from trimming meat: There are always little scraps of meat on these trimmings. Save in the freezer; when you have enough of one kind, make a simple stock. Refrigerate the stock overnight to force all fat to the top, lift off, and discard (unless you can find a use for it . . . )

Papery skin from cured yellow onions: This makes a safe vegetable dye for Easter eggs. It produces a simple golden-brown color like a naturally brown egg, but you can create patterns with the usual egg-dyeing tricks.

Leftover French fries and other deep-fried items from takeout dinners: Refrigerate immediately and reheat in the oven for best quality. Use within 3 days.

A few spoonfuls of cooked vegetables--not enough for a single serving: Chop and stir into miso soup or fried rice.

What are your tricks for using up every scrap?

HummusDip
05-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Great ideas! :rockon

MarynMunchkins
05-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Pickle brine makes a great marinade base. :)

naturallia
05-26-2008, 02:58 PM
don't let any bones with any meat left on them go into the trash! boil the bones down (stock) then pick those bones bare, even if there's only tiny bits of meat left hanging from it, these tiny bits are perfect to make dirty rice with! Don't forget the bone marrow! That counts as meat.