PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook with beef steak?

Mum2Es
05-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I can buy steak cheap in bulk, but I don't have many ideas for using it. I'm defrosting about 1kg of round steak for dinner tonight - anyone got any bright ideas for cooking it?

hbmamma
05-25-2008, 05:57 PM
marinade & grill
stew
braise (like a pot roast)

Keep it moist and avoid dry heat - it will dry out and be even tougher to chew...

jenny_islander
07-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Just sauteed in a bit of corn oil in a cast-iron skillet with plenty of ketchup--that's my husband's favorite. (Tip: Sear on each side, then cook on medium heat on each side until done to your desired stage. Put a lid on during the last few minutes to keep it moist.) Or season with plenty of red and black pepper and garlic powder as you cook it, then slice and pile between slices of whole wheat toast with Miracle Whip on one side and ketchup on the other for fantastic steak sandwiches. Or slice when partially frozen and stir-fry with a bag of frozen veggies.

ThreeKids
07-18-2008, 02:04 PM
There's a recipe in Don't Panic! Dinner's in the Freezer called Baked Steak.

You basically pre-sear all the steak at once, create this sauce in bulk, and divide it all into freezer bags. I serve it on egg noodles. If I do freezer cooking again, that recipe is my highest priority. I love it.

righteous mama
07-18-2008, 02:35 PM
My grandma cooks it with a tomato base...like a can of crushed tomatoes and some cut up bell peppers. I hated it as a kid. :giggle :shifty You could do that and add some garlic to make it really like a sausage and peppers sort of feel. Serve it over rice.

pastelsummer
01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
There's a recipe in Don't Panic! Dinner's in the Freezer called Baked Steak.

You basically pre-sear all the steak at once, create this sauce in bulk, and divide it all into freezer bags. I serve it on egg noodles. If I do freezer cooking again, that recipe is my highest priority. I love it.

where do I find this?

ThreeKids
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Dinners-Freezer-Great-Tasting/dp/0800730550/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230853128&sr=8-1

I got my copy from the library.

Hint: These things are easier to cut up if they are at least partially frozen.

milkmommy
01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
beef steak is the basis of most all of our meat meals (other than chicken) caus of price and versality. Honestly I do everything with it brown it and add taco seasoning and tomato onions for mexican dishes or beef tips add rice or potatos and stir fry type veggies add beans peppers and onions for chile make into stews soups ect..

Deanna

Lily
01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I season mine up with bell pepper, tomato, onion and fajita seasoning and put it in the crock pot on low. Slice it thin for fajitas or tacos.

TestifyToLove
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Stir fry it with onions and green peppers (salt, pepper, garlic and soy sauce for seasoning)and serve over rice.

Cube it in a crockpot with mushrooms, golden mushroom soup, lipton onion soup package and red wine and serve over rice or egg noodles.

Brown it with onions, add water, potatoes and lots of salt and pepper for a beef and potato stew.

JJsMom
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I've just discovered cooking mine in the crockpot and I love it! :yum My dh always liked steak but the rest of us never ate. But I cooked it in the crockpot and it is chowed down! I just put the thawed steak in the bottom of the crockpot, add a bunch of cubed (I peel mine but you don't have to) on top and carrots on top of that (I sometimes add garlic/onion powder). I let it cook until the meat falls apart and then I drain out the broth, add extra canned broth (I am obsessed with lots of gravy) and make a nice big pan of gravy by just adding some arrowroot (you could do cornstarch or flour). It is so yummy! :yum I just ate the leftovers from dinner last night and it is so good.