PDA

View Full Version : How should I store all of these dish sets?

JJsMom
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I've been doing some major decluttering and my basement is getting there but I don't know what to do with all of my dish sets! Here's what I have (and why I can't declutter them):
1. Our everyday dishes, we use them.
2. My chicken plates, I use them most days
3. Our old set-I am getting rid of, I am still hanging on to the small plates because we use them, but I think I'll just get rid of them
4. Our corningware-I use a few plates in the micro because our set cracks in the micro
5. My mom and dads china set-I love it, it's beautiful and meaningful to me
6. Our wedding china-my dh loves these and wants to get more :doh
7. Our wedding dishes that we only got part of, so I'm going to sell them
8. A set of rose dishes from my Great Grandma that I will use when the kids are older
9. A set of Christmas dishes from my other Great Grandma
10. A set of dishes from my aunt that she gave to me because she doesn't have kids and she considers me like a daughter, she asks about them often
11. A set of wildlife plates that my dh wants us to put up on the wall in our rec room when we finish the walls
I think that's it. :phew :O (I just put another set in the rummage sale too.) I just don't know ho to store all of these. I'm getting rid of my hutch and buffet cabinet that is now holding two sets and I have shelves with others and others in boxes. I need some kind of order.
:help

Forsynthianicki
05-22-2008, 09:42 PM
It sounds like you have some sets that will just be in storage until they get passed on to other people. For those sets, I recommend buying dishpack boxes from places that rent moving equipment. They are a little expensive but if they save great grandmas dishes...then you can store them wherever you have room. Just label them well so you don't have to partially unpack them later to find out whats in the box. This I know from experience :blush still missing one box of everyday dishes from our last move. I keep anything I use more than a few times a year in the kitchen or dining room.

tempus vernum
05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I would pack away everything you don't use regularly (once a month or less).

Anything not used and waiting to be passed on or being kept for sentimental reasons, I would store in dishpack and put in storage well labeled. Anything used on occassion I would pack in dishpack and keep in an accessible place. Christmas dishes I pack away with my christmas stuff.

I have a kitchen area in my basement storage for things I don't use all the time (cookie cutters, cheesecake pan, tomato saucer). I keep my poultry roaster there and my extra crockpot. If I use it less than once a month it goes in that area. They aren't "packed away" but put down there to keep clutter to a minimum. As I type this, I realize that I have several things I should consider moving down there :think

I don't know that is your answer because I have realized in decluttering that working "with" your habits rather than trying to change them is the clue :)

ThreeKids
05-25-2008, 06:35 PM
You need to consolidate your everyday use pieces.

Since corningware stacks well, buy pieces of corningware to bring your current corningware collection up to what you need for everyday.

Keep the most stackable non-breakable pieces for your children's place settings (or give them the ones the aunt gave you if you'd be okay if a few broke).

Display what you really want to display.

Pack and label the rest. You can always display it later.

Marsha
05-26-2008, 06:00 AM
I hung a set that I loved but didn't use often on the soffet in our kitchen and it looks cheerful and cute. I gave away two sets that I'd been carrying around since I was like 18 through many many moves. After all that time, I discovered I had no true emotional attachment to the items. Someone else is happily enjoying them now.