PDA

View Full Version : My goal: no more wasted fruit

Psyche
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I'd add veggies but I'm not sure how not to waste those (like bagged salad and such).

At any rate my goal is no more wasted fruit. If it starts to go bad, I'm either going to dehydrate it or freeze it. I figure I can pretty much dehydrate any fruit and that will make a yummy and easy to go snack for DS. I have some grapes in the dehydrator that were about to go bad :) I figure I can make banana chips the same way. So there it is :)

KatieMae
05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
We seem to waste a lot of produce too. My solution is to build a compost bin though :giggle Good luck with the dehydrating! :tu

tempus vernum
05-21-2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.fridgeballs.com/ these help too ;)

I had that goal and have thrown away almost nothing (even bagged salad) since getting them :rockon

Allison
05-21-2008, 05:58 PM
We use green bags and I'm amazed at how long produce lasts in those things. Wow. I actually get my money's worth of produce now.

tree_hugger
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I spend way to much on organic produce to let it go to waste! :yes

Our food life-cycle is this:

1. We keep it in Tupperware Fridge Mate containers. They are great, and really work.

2. If bananas or berries start to go yuck, I freeze them to make smoothies. Pumpkin and sweet potatos become muffins or biscuits.

3. Anything left, including kitchen scraps, goes to the chickens.

4. Anything the chickens reject goes to the worms.

:heart