PDA

View Full Version : Older sibling directing a younger one, and other Age 3 questions!

loveyoulots
05-21-2008, 06:40 AM
DD2 is turning 3 next month, and she is clearly changing and growing in big emotions and verbal reasoning. But, she is constantly looking to her older sister to tell her what to be or what to do. It drives DH nuts, and now, through him, me.

Example: They love to play pretend, usually a book or movie plot. DD1 always assigns DD2 the role of the boy. Then DD2 will ask incessantly, “who am I?” or “what’s my name again?” This alone drives me nuts. Although she clearly wants to be the one with the dress, she always accepts her assigned role. Except that she asks for another 50 times what her name is :banghead My stock answer has always been you can be whoever you want to be. But, she doesn’t seem to want that answer, she wants to be told what to be. What would help her the most here? DH thinks we need to help her assert herself by standing up to DD1 and assigning her the role she doesn't want. I don't think DD1 is being mean here, its not like that. She is asked who someone can be and she assigns them the role that flatters herslef the most. Quite savvy for a 5 yo. I have it in my head that part of this is a birth order thing, and as long as we give DD2 the words to use and the right to use them, she will eventually claim back her power. I remember reading Siblings Without Rivalry, and thought that fighting one child's battles for them was not recommended for long term happiness. But, after a particularly trying day yesterday, I’m re-thinking that.

Also, can someone please reassure me that total lack of impulse control, incessantly putting things in her mouth, and complete inability to do things like putting her shoes on that she has done for ages are totally normal for this age transition period? How long before we emerge from this dark place :lol ? :help

ArmsOfLove
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
it sounds like you are frustrated with what may be part of her inherent personality type and if you keep up you will be frustrated for a long time. Some personality types are just not inherently imaginative--they are more concrete. So it's great that she wants to play with her sis, it's great that she's flexible and wants to take on the roles assigned to her, at her age her memory isn't that great so she needs reminders, and given those parameters they could play together for hours. Sounds like a success to me :) Do these things bother her sister?

loveyoulots
05-21-2008, 09:14 AM
it sounds like you are frustrated with what may be part of her inherent personality type and if you keep up you will be frustrated for a long time. Some personality types are just not inherently imaginative--they are more concrete. So it's great that she wants to play with her sis, it's great that she's flexible and wants to take on the roles assigned to her, at her age her memory isn't that great so she needs reminders, and given those parameters they could play together for hours. Sounds like a success to me :) Do these things bother her sister?

Thank you Crystal, your reply has made me realize that I am struggling with distinguishing what is inherent in her personality and should be nurtured, and what is becoming leaned because she is a middle child with a strong leader sister. I'm not sure how to recognize the difference. Does birth order play into this?

It seems that if this is just her, then I should follow her lead and encourage her as is. If it is because she is being overshadowed, then I should be her advocate. It doesn’t bother her sister at all since she gets to be in charge :)

purple_kangaroo
05-23-2008, 08:55 PM
One thing I've found to be helpful with my three is to frequently play games with some level of structure, where one person is the leader at a time, but all players get a turn being the leader. We play games like "Simon Says" and "Follow the Leader" a lot, which gives each child a turn to be the one coming up with ideas and giving orders, and also gives each child practice in following someone else's lead.

Another thing I've done is set a timer for 15 minute increments and give each child 15 minutes where they get to choose what Mommy will play with them and direct the play for everyone else. Everyone knows they will get their turn as the leader, so they are willing to take their place as a follower when it's someone else's turn.

I think this can be invaluable both in developing confidence and leadership skills in the ones who tend to be followers, and also in developing practice being the one to defer to someone else's leadership in the ones that are strong natural leaders. I feel that both skills are important in life, even though different people have strengths and weaknesses in different areas and some are natural leaders while others are natural followers.