PDA

View Full Version : reasons a cat would do a bowel movement outside the litter box all the time??

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-20-2008, 09:45 PM
I know it's not the location of the litter box or the type of litter b/c she used to use it everytime until the last few months.

she used to do it when we would go out of town over night, but she does it almost daily now....usually during the night or something. but sometimes she will use the the litter box still....

any idea what is going on? we are getting pretty sick of it :sick But we love her so much, so I've got to figure out what's going on or if this is just normal?

She is 6 1/2 yrs old and has been spade.

milkmommy
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Our cat started doing that when her kidneys started to act up (and sadly evenutually failed and we had to put him down) I might have your checked out just to rule things out. Oh and my parents cat did that and it was arthritis related.

Deanna

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok, she hasn't been to the vet in a while (I am scared they will tell me they will only see her if she is up to date on vaccines/or have to get her up to date) I stopped having her vaxed a couple yrs ago... they last time she had an annual visit...

thank you! I guess I should call around and see if I can find a vet that will be ok w/ not vaxing her-I think that maybe hard :(

Rabbit
05-20-2008, 10:37 PM
It's definitely an indicator for a physical.

Since it is something you know she does as a stress behaviour, take a look at her life and see what might be stressing her. Like cats visiting the windows in the night. Having her quiet spaces invaded during the day. Anything like that, that could be getting under her skin.

Try feliway. My favorite version is the plug in diffuser. It's a cat pheromone that helps them relax, and that humans can't smell. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Amber
05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
My cat will do that if the litter box isn't clean enough :shifty

It could very well be something physically wrong with the cat. Most vets will treat unvaccinated pets. I don't know if your cat is indoor only or not, but it is pretty common for indoor only cats to be minimally or unvaccinated. I would take her in and have blood work done :yes

In the mean time, I would try the Feliway. Plug in a diffuser by the litter box. I would also try some Cat Attract Litter (http://www.southernagriculture.com/southag/product.asp?dept_id=3024&pf_id=PAAAAAPPADGILJAP&ad_id=nextag&key_id=38529_DrElseysCatAttractCatLitter) It is more expensive, but it really worked wonders when my cat was peeing outside the box. I would also scoop the box at least once (or more) a day. It is possible that her requirements of how clean a litter box should be have changed.

Johns_Gal
05-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I think everyone has pretty much covered it, but have you tried giving her two boxes? Some cats really prefer one box for urine and the other for solids, I kid you not. They really are that finicky sometimes, lol. I'd try that and Cat Attract for a bit, though you can mix it with her regular litter so as not to confuse her/stretch the Cat Attract a bit. Feliway could be a great thing for you guys too... magical, wonderful stuff.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
thanks for all the suggestions!

she is strictly indoors, I'll give some of those ideas a try until I can get her into the vet-I'm sure I could find one to see her soon.

Rabbit
05-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I think everyone has pretty much covered it, but have you tried giving her two boxes? Some cats really prefer one box for urine and the other for solids, I kid you not. They really are that finicky sometimes, lol. I'd try that and Cat Attract for a bit, though you can mix it with her regular litter so as not to confuse her/stretch the Cat Attract a bit. Feliway could be a great thing for you guys too... magical, wonderful stuff.

Our four cats have four boxes, all grouped together. They definitely pee more in one than the others, and each has their favorite poop box, so we have to rotate the placement of the boxes every time we change them to get even wear. They super saturate the pee box.

Stripe always lets us know that we have failed in our litter cleaning duties by pooping in the space between all four boxes.

AmyDoll
05-21-2008, 09:53 AM
I am fostering my brother's cat while he's waiting for his new house :) And he was doing that! Where is my PU emoticon? It got to be silly - I would wake up find the poo on a rug & toss the rug in the washer - so annoying.
Any way, he got to having diarrhea and I took him to the vet (no issue about vaccines or anything) - but the vet gave us a couple cans of special food & a pill to help clear it up. He checked his stool and there weren't parasites or anything so we figured it was stress or bacteria. We gave him 2 litter pans & I picked up all the rugs in the house (just so he didn't feel like they were an invitation, kwim?) he's not had a potty accident in about a week. :tu

Weezie
05-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Have you changed the litter lately?
Being him in for a vet check. Sometimes the ats show stress by doing that- as a means of control.
My cat did it when we had dd1. The vet told me to put him on kitty prozac- i did it for 2 days and then he refused the med- even refused the treats we put it in.He got over it.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
yes, I change the litter alot.

I am sure it may just be the fact that dd likes to chase her and tries to hold her and stuff (not hurting her though) and it annoys her...but I'll still have her checked out by a vet to be sure she is still in good health.

Weezie
05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Our boy cat does it quite often- dh tells him to :blush :giggle "pinch it off" when in the litter box!
I hope I didn't sound snarky when I asked about the litter. I actually meant to as if you had changed litter BRANDS lately. I just reread my statement and it sounded sassy. I'm sorry! :blush

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Our boy cat does it quite often- dh tells him to :blush :giggle "pinch it off" when in the litter box!
I hope I didn't sound snarky when I asked about the litter. I actually meant to as if you had changed litter BRANDS lately. I just reread my statement and it sounded sassy. I'm sorry! :blush

no! you didn't sound snarky or sassy AT ALL :heart

She is pretty picky and the brand we use now has worked the best...

oh and I know what you mean about the "left over" being dragged. Our cat has very very long hair so it happens often :giggle I can handle when that happens, at least she is using the box. Don't they call that a dingleberry,?? hahah :giggle :giggle

Rabbit
05-21-2008, 08:12 PM
"Poop on a rope" at our house. I have super long hair, and they occasionally eat a strand of my hair. That's over a yard of hair strand. Lots of potential for poop on a rope.

erinee
05-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I think everyone has pretty much covered it, but have you tried giving her two boxes? Some cats really prefer one box for urine and the other for solids, I kid you not. They really are that finicky sometimes, lol.

That was my first thought, too. My cat is like that.

QuiltinGramma
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Our cat started going outside the box (she was about 10 or 11 yo) The vet said that she might be having pain when she peed and pooped and then associated the pain with the box and therefore wouldn't use the box. Long story short....it was shortly after that that we had to put her down. Amber drove while I held Rags...halfway there Amber started bawling and said, "As much as I hate that cat, I hate to see her put down." (or words to that affect :shifty ) We got our current cat the very next day. Shadow is now around 10 or 11yo and we found out recently that he has hyperthyroidism and is on a daily pill for it and is starting to gain his weight back.
:heart

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
thank you all SO much for your input and experiences!

the only reason I am thinking it's more of a behavior thing is b/c she still uses her litter box for poops at least every 2-3 days. it's almost like she goes back and forth from carpet to litter box for her poop (thank the Lord I think it's only poop b/c we've had the urine problem in the past-NOO fun to deal with) But of course we are taking her in for a check-up...we are calling around in the morning. There is one nearby so hopefully they can see her soon.

Rabbit
05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Feliway will very likely clear that all up. :)