PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Decluttering

Marsha
05-20-2008, 07:19 AM
I think my increase in a/d dosage is kicking in because I'm looking around my house going :scratch whoa why didn't I SEE this before? So I am in the decluttering mode. I cleaned out the toys and junk in the bath that the kids have piled up; I've decluttered our pantry, bookshelves, my closet, kids' toys, kids' clothes, etc. I dont' let much clutter pile up even at the worst of times, so this was like a two day thing.

Now onto the "office" at least the things I have control over. I have an ancient highchair that was mine when I was a baby (and susequently about 12 other babies after that) It's metal of course, the tray has been painted a thousand times because it's rust and it's rust again, and the seat and back have been recovered with oilclothe (right now an ugly brown) many many times. Dad gave it to me, and I said I wanted it, blah, blah, blah.

But even if I fix it up, why? Should I just toss it? Honestly I don't feel sentimental about it at all, surprisingly.

What am I looking for? I suppose permission to throw it away. I'd never give it to anyone, it's ancient and made back when babies were actually small and didn't recline, etc.

2sunshines
05-20-2008, 07:21 AM
If you have no sentimentality attached to it, get rid of it. :yes

Sarai
05-20-2008, 07:23 AM
If you don't want it, get rid of it. :yes I personally wouldn't just throw it away though; around here, there are quite a few shops that sell "not-quite-antiques" (think a mix of real antiques, older-nostalgia stuff, and housewares) that would buy that from you for resale. Not sure if you want to go to the trouble of finding a shop like that, but that's what I would do. :)

Marsha
05-20-2008, 07:29 AM
If you don't want it, get rid of it. :yes I personally wouldn't just throw it away though; around here, there are quite a few shops that sell "not-quite-antiques" (think a mix of real antiques, older-nostalgia stuff, and housewares) that would buy that from you for resale. Not sure if you want to go to the trouble of finding a shop like that, but that's what I would do. :)

yeah, we have several, I know one right around the corner. Hmmmmmm, doing that tomorrow.

Thanks for the permission..............and the compromise. I think what was stopping me was my horror of throwing things away, honestly!

Sarai
05-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Cool! :rockon I hope they give you a good price for it! :heart

BHope
05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
I was going to second the suggestion to find a nostalgia type store and donate/consign/sell it. That way the seat will see future use and you don't have to worry about it cluttering up your house.