PDA

View Full Version : Why do my fingers swell when I have a beer....

cobluegirl
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
It doesn't happen all the time but often times my fingers will swell up when I have a beer... I drink water all day long so I don't think it is because I am dehydrated..... any ideas??

dukeofhazzard
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Is there alot of sodium in beer? That would definitely do it. :think

poleidopy
05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
not always, but most of the time after I have a drink either a few hours or the next day I am puffy and really, really thirsty, no matter how much water I've had. :shrug

expatmom
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I think beer is a diuretic, so it isn't supposed to make you swell. :scratch

cobluegirl
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I think coffee is too...and I never get the same effect with coffee or tea.....

zak
05-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Hm, does it have something to do with electro-lytes? I could be totally wrong... I'm pulling info from over 10 years ago when I had my kidney disease... the doc warned me (I was only 14!!!) not to drink beer - it's hard on your kidneys, IIRC.

:think

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I've heard (and I may be totally wrong) some people can have an allergic reaction to certain types of alcohol. ? I knew someone who would swell in the face and neck area if she drank it...mainly rum. any alcohol made her swell a little, just not in the hands, that I recall. nothing like that has ever happened to me though.

I'm sure it depends on the person

Herbwifemama
05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, wheat makes me all bloated, could it be the wheat?

Jenjardin
05-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Hmm, IIRC, some years back I noticed my knees would ache a bit after a beer, but not lately. I don't know why though.

cobluegirl
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I dunno..I eat wheat all the time with no reaction..there is just something in the beer...hehe.. It doesn't always happen either which is weird...

Lady TS
05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
yeast allergy? :shrug

Is it always the same brand of beer that you drink and have no reaction/reaction of swollen hands?

cobluegirl
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I usually drink the same thing...(at home)

I have eaten yeast breads for years w/no effect... but maybe... I dunno

Lady TS
05-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Just my theory here...

maybe sometimes your immune system is under attack more and that is when you react to the beer...

I know that sometimes I react to certain foods and other times not. My allergist suggested that my body was overwhelmed with fighting all this pollen stuff I am allergic to and that's why it reacts to things I wouldn't otherwise react to. For example, celery is on my list of allergenic foods. In someone with seasonal allergies, the allergist would recommend against eating celery leading up to and during the season that your allergies bother you. The celery has a much greater chance of causing you to react than when your body is not fighting off the pollen/whatever you are allergic to. In fact, if there was a time that I wasn't exhibiting allergenic symptoms, I could probably eat celery and not have an allergic reaction.

Does that make sense?

cobluegirl
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
hmm...I will have to think on that. To my knowledge I don't have any food allergies, however I do struggle sometimes with pollen and grasses.

GodisGood
05-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Could be the hops? I will swell too if I've been eating "off". Beer is like eating a loaf of bread for your body so your consuming a lot of carbs. If you like dark beer like me it's even more so.

cobluegirl
05-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I drink porter usually...so yeah it is dark.

GodisGood
05-21-2008, 08:59 AM
It could simply be a carb-load reaction then. Or the extra Hops needed in dark beer.