PDA

View Full Version : Painting cabinets....

WI Mama05
05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
How hard is it to do? I need to desperately update the master bath if we put it on the market, but I don't think we can afford a new vanity (unless they are cheap). I was thinking of painting it. Anyone done it?

homemommy40
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
We did our whole kitchen and it was a bit time consuming, but not hard at all. And we loved the results! I sanded all the surfaces that we were going to paint, then cleaned them up really well to remove any sanding dust. I used a good primer and then just painted three coats of paint- we used a semi-gloss latex, but not sure if you are supposed to use an oil based paint instead, or not. Ours has held up well and sure saved us a ton of money!

KatieMae
05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
I think painting a bathroom vanity would be pretty simple - a LOT faster than doing a whole kitchen, for sure. What :up said is what I'd do as well - remove everything, sand it, prime it & paint it. So, lots of steps, but doing it right will ensure a long-lasting finish.

mom2threegirls
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
If you take your time and do a good job it should turn out really nice! Sand it, use a good quality primer, sand lightly, and then do 3 light coats of paint with light sanding in between and then do a couple coats of poly with light sanding in between. Paint can do amazing things for very little money! :rockon