PDA

View Full Version : Replacing carpet....

WI Mama05
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I've never ever replaced carpet. I've never shopped for it or priced it. I have no idea if it's an easy do-it-yourself or if you really need a professional :shrug.

This house is 14 years old. When we bought it, it needed new carpet. Three years later and it's really rough. Thinking ahead to possibly putting it on the market, I'm wondering if this is one of the improvements we should make, and if it's affordable, to increase our value.

How would one go about it? WWYD? What have you done? Good/bad experiences?

Any input? Thanks!

Ali
05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I really think it's something that needs to be professionally done. If it's not done right, you can end up with bulges and ridges over time. If you replace it, it will increase the value of the house, but not necessarily enough to cover the cost. It will help your house to show better. Another option is to offer buyers a "carpet allowance". Some buyers like this because they will get to choose the type and color they want when they buy.

blessedwithboys
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
We've done it ourselves. It's HARD work, and you need to rent the special stretchers and a few other things, or you'll end up with the bumps and ridges the pp mentioned. It can be done yourselves though, and that saves a ton of money. In your position, I'd try offering a carpet allowance. If you want the house to sell fast though, IME it needs to be replaced before you put it on the market.