PDA

View Full Version : Who harvests their dandelions? What do you use them for?

Soliloquy
05-17-2008, 06:35 AM
I see organic dandelions greens in the store ($$$) and I think, hey, I've got that in my lawn! :giggle My g-ma used to make dandelion wine when I was a kid.

Anyway, who harvests their dandelions and what do you do w/ them?

Nightingale
05-17-2008, 06:54 AM
I don't harvest mine but dandelion leaves are in salad mixes and are pretty yummy.

ThreeKids
05-17-2008, 06:58 AM
The leaves are a tender green. You can use it like baby spinach in a salad. Just don't take them too close to a neighbor's yard since you don't know what chemicals they put in their lawn.

Hermana Linda
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Do they have to be very new leaves? I thought they were kinda prickly. I guess I could make stock out of them. That is what I do with my radish greens. :think

JoyGal
05-19-2008, 01:21 AM
My grandmother used to eat dandelion salads during the depression :tu I've not tried the leaves myself, but I've heard they can be bitter, so there must be a good time to pick the greens. My mother tried making wine once but it didn't turn out so good. I've pressed the petals before to put into handmade paper, yes, that took a long time.

Did you know if you hold a dandelion flower under someones chin and it glows yellow on the skin, that means they like butter? It's a fun thing to do! DD1 does this all the time now when we find the flowers :grin

Soliloquy
05-19-2008, 05:19 AM
I've had dandelion greens mixed into a salad at trendy restaurants--they were a bit bitter but I liked it. I'm wondering if smaller leaves are less bitter.

Anyone else?

Psyche
05-19-2008, 05:36 AM
I want to know how to make dandelion wine. I've wanted to try it Magic for Marigold and Old Grandmother wanted dandelion wine on her death bed.

sgreen
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM
ok. :blush..you can pull the big ones up, wash the roots a bit like you'd wash carrots....chop really fine...like you'd chop garlic, roast under a grill for a few minutes... and hey presto! Dandelion Coffee....use as an infusion..
it really is quite yummy..

Sarah :)
x

TuneMyHeart
05-21-2008, 12:07 PM
You can dry it to make tea. Dandelion benefits (http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/dandelion.html)

celestial princess
05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
:popcorn

Iarwain
05-21-2008, 01:32 PM
The leaves are milder in flavor when they are very young, especially early spring before they flower. They can be eaten raw in salads or as cooked greens. If they are older, more bitter leaves they can be cooked in two waters to reduce the strong flavor.

We harvest blossoms each spring and have fried dandelions as one of our special springtime treats. Just remove the stems, rinse them, then dip in beaten egg then flour and deep fry until golden brown. They are good salted (like fried vegetables at the fair) or sometimes we sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for a dessert-y treat.

Lila
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
No, I've always been scared to touch them because my mum said that they make you wet yourself. I realise now that this isn't true, but I still feel :paranoid when I see them.

Hermana Linda
05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Apparently there is some truth to that. They do give the urge to urinate, but you have to eat them to get it.