PDA

View Full Version : QUICK-what to use in carpet cleaner for odor?

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-15-2008, 07:43 AM
dh just went and rented me a carpet cleaner.. what works best for odor elimination in a carpet cleaner.

they sell the chemicals with it., but I told dh not to get them

so would baking soda and water work? I have pretty much anything. vinegar and water? we EO's hmmm

I've tried spraying enzymes on the area before, no luck :(

any suggestions?

ps-I know carpet cleaners w/ water are bad, but this is last minute and I am despate, I'll make sure to suck as much water out as possible. Plus hopefully this carpet is getting replaced soon!

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm going to try a mix of baking soda and borax so I can get started,we'll see how it goes!

I need to get rid of this smell (it's cat urine byw)

Ali
05-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Cat urine is so hard to get rid of. I hope that works for you! I have also heard of using a vinegar/water mix and even 1 part Listerine to 2 parts water! What ever you are using to clean, let it soak on the carpet for a while before you suck it out. I would go over and over the spots a lot and use hot water if you can.

Let us know how it goes!

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Cat urine is so hard to get rid of. I hope that works for you! I have also heard of using a vinegar/water mix and even 1 part Listerine to 2 parts water! What ever you are using to clean, let it soak on the carpet for a while before you suck it out. I would go over and over the spots a lot and use hot water if you can.

Let us know how it goes!

thanks! I didn't let the baking soda/borax/water sit before sucking, if it doesn't smell better when it dries completly I'll try those 2 things!

Mama Bird
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Not terribly natural, but Odo-Ban is the thing I've found that best removes pet odors, or REALLY stinky things. It's available in a spray bottle from Walmart.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok, I tried everything!!!! sometimes it seems like trying to get it up makes it smell worse!!

I looked at walmart today and found odor cide but not odo-ban....the odor cide did help, better than anything else I have tried at all! I like that stuff! It doesn't list the ingredients but it says enviromentally safe and stuff etc.. ( not that it's acually true)? LOL So I may use it again on odors if needed?

I've accepted cat urine odors are impossible to get rid of...

at least it should be fine as long as you don't put your nose to the carpet. I will vaccuum after letting some baking soda sit...

Rabbit
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
My vet says that vinegar will break it down. You just soak it until it's a puddle with straight vinegar. Let it sit for a bit. Then suck it up. A chemical reaction between the two will completely convert the urine to something else, and then it doesn't stink. I've not yet tested this method.

The other method is to soak it until it's a puddle with Nature's Miracle, and let it dry slowly by itself. Enzymes in that stuff will eat the urine. I have tested this method, and it works.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
05-16-2008, 10:22 PM
My vet says that vinegar will break it down. You just soak it until it's a puddle with straight vinegar. Let it sit for a bit. Then suck it up. A chemical reaction between the two will completely convert the urine to something else, and then it doesn't stink. I've not yet tested this method.

The other method is to soak it until it's a puddle with Nature's Miracle, and let it dry slowly by itself. Enzymes in that stuff will eat the urine. I have tested this method, and it works.

I had some nature's miracle..but I didn't have enough to saturate the whole area. I've heard 100% enzymes work great! I wish I had some.

I'll see how it smells in the morning.