PDA

View Full Version : I need a cake recipe that goes with strawberries

TuneMyHeart
05-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I was thinking something like pound cake, but I'd prefer something that didn't need use half a carton of eggs and two pounds of butter. ;)

Eowyn
05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
How about angel food cake? That's only half a carton of egg whites. :shifty

TuneMyHeart
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Do you have a recipe Ashley/Lindsay/whoever you are? ;) I'm soooo confused. :scratch

jujubnme
05-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Do you need one big cake? Shortcakes with strawberries are delish! :yum I have a great recipe for chocolate shortcake that's really good.

TuneMyHeart
05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Oooh, Andrea that sounds good! Please share. :yes

schmamy
05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I loooooove strawberry shortcake, just the plain old Bisquick recipe, with milk poured over. :yum ooh, DH and I could live on that when good berries are in season.

I've been wanting to make this cake but never get around to it:
http://kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/recipedetail.htm?recipe_id=105214

jujubnme
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
This recipe is not overly rich or sweet. You'll have to double or triple the recipe if you want to make more than two. (It was in a Valentine's Day edition of Gourmet magazine.) Oh, and I just use regular baking powder. (not sure if it's double-acting or not)

Chocolate Shortcake

makes 2 servings

2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c flour
2 T sugar
3/4 t double-acting baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
2 T cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
4 T heavy cream

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse meal. Add cream and stir with a fork until it forms a dough. Divide in half, place each half in a mound on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in the middle of 425F oven for 12 minutes (or until tester inserted in center comes out with crumbs on it). Cool on rack and then slice in half horizontally. Add fruit and eat. :)

Eowyn
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Do you have a recipe Ashley/Lindsay/whoever you are? ;) I'm soooo confused. :scratch

It's me. I'll be back to my regular avi tomorrow. :giggle It's Livened Up Thursday.

Here's a recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Angel-Food-Cake-II/Detail.aspx

Marielle
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
pound cake and that's only 5 eggs plus 1 pound of butter. Delicious and better the longer it sits.

Is it for kids or adults? I like macerating the berries in sugar but they're even better if you add a bit of red wine. mmmmm

TuneMyHeart
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
It's for all of us. :) I don't have all the ingredients for any of the recipes posted so far. :(

Marielle
05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
how about amazon cake? Do you have cocoa? It would go great with berries and doesn't need eggs:

http://wordstoeatby.blogspot.com/2006/04/chocolatiest-quickest-most-rewarding.html

Marrae
05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
What about pavlova?

At a minimum it just needs eggs and sugar. (Do you do sugar???)

It's best with a tsp of cornstarch and a tsp of vinegar too though.