PDA

View Full Version : Seventh generation- your reviews, especially if you have hard water!

joyful mama
05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Could you tell me if you like the dish detergent, laundry detergent, and automatic dish detergent? I love shaklee, but I can order this all with my vitamins, supplements and soaps, etc. so I'll save some money that way. I'll stick with some things for shaklee but shipping is $$ with a big order. Vitacost has seventh generation really reasonable and only $5 for shipping for my whole huge order...

reviews please!

Aisling
05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I've been really pleased with their dish detergent. :rockon I've actually found it rinses easier and is just as effective. Really love it. :heart

~yogamom~
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I do not like 7th Generation's automatic dishwashing detergent-- it works terribly for me! I use E-Cover and it is SO much better. I do like 7th Generation's clothes detergent and fabric softener and use them all the time.

HTH!

HummusDip
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I loved their laundry detergent. But it's so expensive!! I now make my own http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=164811.0 which is CHEAP and it works just as well.

I also like their diapers and wipes.

As far as dishwashing soap, I've never tried theirs. I use this and LOVE it, it works just as well as any schwag brand out there. IT's the automatic dishwashing powder. http://biokleenhome.com/products/household/kitchen

HummusDip
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh and I've also used 7th Gen's dishwashing liquid soap, stuff to hand wash your dishes with and I really liked it too.

joyful mama
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
thanks :). I tried biokleen and it didn't work well at all for me. I just used the handwashing soap, its good...not great, but good. we'll see how the others work when they come in. I just got small ones, in case I don't like it.

cheri
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I think the dishwasher detergent is horrible. It never gets our dishes clean. even 3 washes later and they're still dirty. and in my dishwashwer, the liquid is worse than the powder. I've had better luck with Trader Joes and Whole Foods brands.

TuneMyHeart
05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't like 7th gen. dish det. or dishwasher detergent at all.:no2 They just didn't get the dishes clean. I love the Ecover dish det. I haven't tried the laundry detergent yet.

HummusDip
05-07-2008, 11:13 PM
You should try the Biokleen automatic dish powder, I swear it's freaking fabulous! :heart

krysmh
05-08-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm not a fan. The dishwasher powder leaves filmy scum all over the dishes and does not clean well either. I really love Ecover's diswasher tabs. Those seem to work really well for us.

I don't like their liquid dish soap either. It dries out our hands so badly - worse than anything I've ever bought.

The laundry detergent seems ok, though I hate the scent I bought.

cheri
05-08-2008, 05:22 AM
You should try the Biokleen automatic dish powder, I swear it's incredibly fabulous! :heart

I've been thinking about trying that, but didn't want to waste more money if it doesn't work. Our local Kroger carries it. I have to drive 30 minutes to get to Whole Foods to buy theirs.

joyful mama
05-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Biokleen didn't work well at all... it was so terrible I resorted to using my mainstream un-natural ones until I could get more. Trader Joe's was terrible too. :sigh its the hard water. I heard that Ecover uses bleach? Maybe I'll just stick with the more expensive shaklee stuff... I'm just trying to keep costs down, we spend so much on organic/natural foods and cleaners/toiletries... :/. My homemade dish wash stuff was just as terrible...

HomeWithMyBabies
05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
:yes2 Nodding in agreed about the 7th generation dishwasher detergent. Horrible, horrible stuff. Sadly it's the first product of theirs I tried and I've been scared to try anything else.

I found a brand called Sun & Earth (http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Earth-Dishwasher-Detergent-20-Count/dp/B0013MZ23E) dishwasher detergent in my regular grocery store and it has been working great. I don't know how it rates environmentally compared to 7th generation, but I know it gets the dishes clean, and it's not Cascade.

purstrength
05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I just started using the powdered 7th G dishwasher detergent and its been working great! I was afraid to try it, but walgreen's had it on sale a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd try it. It worked great, so I picked up an extra box.

And I have VERY hard water.

I also like the soap for handwashing. :tu

cheri
05-10-2008, 06:02 AM
i'm thinking that we have problems because not only do we have hard water, but also a junky dishwasher from the 80's. so maybe it depends on your dishwasher, too.

krysmh
05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Our dishwasher is new.

canadiyank
05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
:lol I totally love the dishwasher detergent. It's the only thing dh will let me buy as nothing else works. :shrug I like the handwash dish soap, too, and use the laundry detergent all the time. It all works great for us. We have a water softener but it worked great at our last place with hard water and no softener, too.

Niphredil
05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
We have extremely hard water as well. I really like the seventh gen dish soap... my only complaint is that it is really thin & watery. We've used bio kleen and it works great too.

As for the dishwasher detergent... yuck. Everything in my dishwasher is still dirty. But to be fair, nothing I've tried works. We've resorted to the very icky electrosol power tabs... and then because I feel so bad about using them I don't run my dishwasher. Does the shaklee stuff really work? :think

Lantern Light Mama
05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Recently I inherited some 7th Generation Automatic detergent. I will let you all know how it works, but my friend hated it. She doesn't like to prewash and my husband always does so we may end up with differing opinions. I love hand me downs so its all good.

joyful mama
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
we have a new dishwasher too, just extremely hard water. The shaklee stuff works great, lindsay, its just expensive. It works amazingly well, though, and we used to use the electrasol tabs too, when nothing else worked. I was just hoping for something a little less expensive...
Recently I inherited some 7th Generation Automatic detergent. I will let you all know how it works, but my friend hated it. She doesn't like to prewash and my husband always does so we may end up with differing opinions. I love hand me downs so its all good.
i hope it works for you... i'm sure i'll end up giving it to my sis, since she has soft water...