PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Bunk or Loft Beds?

RealLifeMama
05-07-2008, 11:05 AM
We got this bed (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/kiddieworld/144p1000YH.jpg) for DD from someone from craigslist.
It smelled of smoke. :sick
The wood is OK now, but the mattress is really still icky. I took the cover off and washed it, but the foam is just gross and the cover still smells icky, too.
It is a foam mattress, by the makers of the bed.
I wanted to just use her own regular mattress. It is a comfy mattress from the Original Mattress Factory.
Does anyone know if you can use a regular, standard mattress on a loft bed? I guess I am worried about the weight, because the size seems OK.
I'd hate to have to buy a new foam mattress for more than the bed cost us!

Oh, and for DS's bunk beds, we have the boards that go under the mattress. I am assuming we can use his regular mattress with those, right?

Katiebug
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM
It should be fine :yes We have a regular coil matress on the top bunk of our bunkbed and it's perfect :)

2sunshines
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I'd use the regular mattress. The only thing to watch for is that it's not too high to make the rails not very useful anymore, kwim? But apart from that, I'd have no other reason not to.

Marielle
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM
cute bed! I agree, a regular bed should be okay on that as the bed should support the weight of a person as well.

As far as the smoke smell in the covers, I'd wet them thoroughly with water, then sun them on a hot day. Just hang them over the deck, the fence or a high patch of grass and let the UV rays plus the water work their magic. Might even be tempted to spray a diluted solution of water + oxyclean on it first, then hose it down and let the sun do its thing.

HomeWithMyBabies
05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
That is the coolest bed ever!

RealLifeMama
05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks! :phew

Actually, it did not come with all of that stuff on it. It is just the tower and the bed frame with ladder and slide. Thank goodness we were not expecting to have the tent and curtains, those would be really nasty smelling, too.
I am just going to go to the fabric store and get some tulle or something and my non-sewing self is going to try to make a ruffle to go around the outside. :haha

Marielle
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Oooh amy if you're going to use tulle you won't even have to sew it. Have you seen the tie on tulle tutus? They're basically a loop of elastic to which you tie the tulle strips onto it until you fill the whole elastic with tulle. I'm sure you could do the same something that would go under the bed frame (but probably using something else instead of elastic).

Like this:

http://plumtickled.typepad.com/plumtickled/2007/08/tutu-tutorial-t.html

Mama Calidad
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh! That has got to be the cutest bed ever!!!!

I had a loft bed in college and used a regular mattress. I was old enough to not have a rail. :giggle We have a bunkbed now for the kids, but they never get to use the top bunk (which kinda defeats the purpose) because the mattress we bought is really nice. So nice that it's taller than the rail. Whoops! :giggle