PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I made...and the kids like it!

TrinMama
05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Black bean brownies. I'm in a recipe group that sends out a gazillion recipes everyday, and one day it was black bean brownies. I've been intrigued, so we tried them today. They're certainly not as chocolate-y as regular brownies (suppose they could be with more chocolate chips and cocoa powder) but they were surprisingly good. :) Both the girls love them, too.

The Tickle Momster
05-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm intrigued. Can you share the recipe?

FaroeIslandBabes
05-06-2008, 02:09 PM
mmm, i love black beans....sounds.....funky :giggle Id try it! can you share? :)

klpmommy
05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
oooooo, I definately want the recipe!!!!

backtobasicsmum
05-06-2008, 02:20 PM
:raise

Please could you share the recipe? Sounds great! I am all about 'hiding' good for you food in good food. :shifty

BHope
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm lining up for the recipe as well. :D

TrinMama
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok, here goes:

1 can black beans, drained
3 eggs
3T veg or canola oil, or whatever you like
1/4c (or more, if you like...I added more) cocoa powder. I used unsweetened...
pinch of salt
1 t vanilla
3/4c sugar

Combine the above in a blender, blending til smooth. Then add 1/2c chocolate chips if you like. I added them.

Bake at 350 in an 8x8 greased baking pan for about 30 minutes.

The Tickle Momster
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I made these today. They were yummy! Not one child could tell and my adult friends all liked them too. Thank you! :yum

TrinMama
05-08-2008, 03:33 AM
I made these today. They were yummy! Not one child could tell and my adult friends all liked them too. Thank you! :yum

:rockon You're welcome!!

Atarah
05-08-2008, 04:08 AM
gluten free, vegan brownies (if the chocolate chips are vegan).... how exciting!

Must make these... must make these.....must make these.... :yum

monkeylicious
05-08-2008, 04:39 AM
:hkiss subbing

TrinMama
05-08-2008, 04:41 AM
gluten free, vegan brownies (if the chocolate chips are vegan).... how exciting!

Must make these... must make these.....must make these.... :yum

Yup...and I'm not a gluten free or vegan mama...and they were yummy! Um, don't tell anyone, but I've had one for "Breakfast" every day since I made them... :shifty (and other food, too...)

Katydid
05-08-2008, 04:42 AM
:yum

Atarah
05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
:giggle :blush

I TOTALLY skipped over the eggs in the ingredient list. Um, sooooooo not vegan with eggs in them. :P~

I *made* them without the eggs, and wondered why they turned out a bit gooey (think molten chocolate cake). :lol

I wanted to make them again and came back for the recipe... are you sure you didn't edit and add the eggs to the ingredient list. :shifty :giggle

eggs make me itch.... can't decide whether to make it again with the eggs (and end up itchy), or make it again without the eggs, put individual size portions into ramekins and revel in the gooeyness... :think

TrinMama
05-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Nope, eggs are part of the recipe. I guess not vegan, then...I'm so clueless...and not vegan. :shifty

What are good egg subsitutes? Mayo? Is that vegan in any way? Prob not. :shrug You could make them gooey and then add something special and yummy to them and create your own new dessert! :giggle

mummy2boys
05-19-2008, 11:51 PM
These sound nice.....going to try this one as well!

Hermana Linda
05-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I wonder if tofu would make a good egg subsitute. :think

Maggie
05-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Can't wait to try these! Thanks!

JJsMom
05-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm going to make these for my df, gf and corn free nephew! :yes Thank you!

TrinMama
05-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Hope they love them!

bananacake
05-26-2008, 06:43 AM
No flour? Wow!

hbmamma
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Just wanted to say how awesome these are :rockon :rockon
My kids go through them in less than 12 hours :shifty

I've also played around with the sugar - using 1/4 cup sugar and 1/3 molasses/honey combo :yum Also increased the cocoa to 1/3 cup

JJsMom
06-03-2008, 09:49 PM
I did make these for my nephew! :heart Thank you so much! He loved them! My family loved them too! :woohoo My dh likes his baked things slightly underdone, so these had a perfect texture to him. I used about 1/3 cup sugar and maybe 1/3 c maple syrup. And it was so easy! This is a perfect last minute dessert recipe. I can buy a bunch of cans of black beans (I'm going to try making some too) and I can make these up quick.
:heart

ArmsOfLove
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
try it with EnerG's egg replacer :)

it sounds like a gluten free recipe--lots of them use bean flours ;) Just using beans instead of flour and xanthum gum so it would be a LOT cheaper (considering xanthum gum is over $10 a bag and most bean flours are $4-8 dollars a pound :jawdrop

I may have to try these :)

I wonder if carob powder would work :think

TrinMama
06-04-2008, 04:43 AM
:rockon That so many love them!!!

Crystal, isn't carob powder supposed to be like cocoa powder?

HomeWithMyBabies
06-04-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm going to try this. :rockon Dairy free brownies! Yay!

HomeWithMyBabies
06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
They're a hit here. :yes Our guests enjoyed them, too. I used EVCO for the oil, and for the sugar 1/4 cup xylitol and 1/2 cup pure maple syrup.

TrinMama
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm going to try to make these into blondies today, with cannellini beans. :shifty

monkeylicious
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
waiting to hear how they go over!

HomeWithMyBabies
03-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I was just thinking about these! This saves me doing a google search. :giggle

bananacake
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I need to make these!

TrinMama
03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
waiting to hear how they go over!

I think the regular ones are better...but, these aren't too bad! I used the cannellini beans, two eggs, a few teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk that was in the fridge (I was cleaning it out :giggle), vanilla, the same amount of oil, some ground pecans (but chopped pecans would be great), and a handful of white chocolate chips. :yes

BeckaBlue
03-18-2009, 02:57 PM
gotta try these!!

Iansmama
03-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Thank you for reviving this thread. I am making these when I get home tonight!!!

TrinMama
03-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Thank you for reviving this thread. I am making these when I get home tonight!!!

You're welcome! I just had one this am. :giggle DH doesn't like that at all...but oh well. I didn't make them for him. The girls each ate two, so did Little Man. :shifty

bananacake
03-19-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm cooking my black beans as we speak!

Joyful Melissa
03-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I am definitely going to try these in the next week or so. Thanks!

bananacake
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I've eaten about half the pan :shifty

Six Little Feet
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
i am going to try these

mom2jolakeil
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Sounds good and we're black bean fans in this house too :rockon

deena
03-19-2009, 11:04 AM
So cool! Can't wait to try it!!!!

nadezhda
03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
:giggle :blush

I TOTALLY skipped over the eggs in the ingredient list. Um, sooooooo not vegan with eggs in them. :P~

I *made* them without the eggs, and wondered why they turned out a bit gooey (think molten chocolate cake). :lol

I wanted to make them again and came back for the recipe... are you sure you didn't edit and add the eggs to the ingredient list. :shifty :giggle

eggs make me itch.... can't decide whether to make it again with the eggs (and end up itchy), or make it again without the eggs, put individual size portions into ramekins and revel in the gooeyness... :think

FYI, ground flax seeds (flax flour) can make a great egg substitute. ;) Just combine 1 T. flax flour w/3 T. warm water per egg. Let stand for a couple minutes (to allow the combination to gelatinize like an egg) before adding to your recipe. I've used this in snickerdoodles b/c I didn't realize I was out of eggs, and even took the cookies to a homeschool group meeting. NO ONE COULD TELL that I hadn't used eggs, and I even had a couple recipe requests. :giggle

And TrinMama...this has me morbidly curious. :shifty I need to get some cocoa & choc chips, but I'm going to HAVE to try these.

ChristmasGirl
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Abbiroads first introduced these to me...they are wonderful! i think i need to take some to bible study tomorrow night and wait to see people's reaction :P~

CakeLady
03-19-2009, 01:38 PM
These sound horrible, but with so many of you liking them....I guess I will give them a try next time I cook up some black beans.

ChristmasGirl
03-19-2009, 01:48 PM
i know, they do sound horrible, but trust me, they're so NOT horrible :lol

i DARE you to make some. i DOUBLE DOG DARE you :giggle

CakeLady
03-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Okay....I will take you up on your dare, but first I need to make some beans (maybe this weekend).

TrinMama
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I've eaten about half the pan :shifty

LOL. I know....I can't stop either. Because they're good. And healthy.

i know, they do sound horrible, but trust me, they're so NOT horrible :lol

i DARE you to make some. i DOUBLE DOG DARE you :giggle

You know, I think I first tried them just because they sounded bad. :shifty

Okay....I will take you up on your dare, but first I need to make some beans (maybe this weekend).

DO IT!! :giggle

Iansmama
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
:yum :yum :yum

These were so good! I didn't add any extras and didn't even add all the called for sweetner and I still thought they were fantastic! Even my dad, who loves junk food of all sorts, thought they were good.

I was so sad when I finished the pan tonight. That's right. It barely lasted 24 hours. :O Dh suggested I should have rationed it. I told him I did...I wanted to eat it all as soon as it came out of the oven :P~

Thank you for this recipe!

TrinMama
03-20-2009, 05:25 AM
:yum :yum :yum

These were so good! I didn't add any extras and didn't even add all the called for sweetner and I still thought they were fantastic! Even my dad, who loves junk food of all sorts, thought they were good.

I was so sad when I finished the pan tonight. That's right. It barely lasted 24 hours. :O Dh suggested I should have rationed it. I told him I did...I wanted to eat it all as soon as it came out of the oven :P~

Thank you for this recipe!

:rockon you're welcome

Blue Savannah
03-25-2009, 07:14 AM
after a trip to another country, my dh is all about eggs for breakfast. :rolleyes I'll have to try these.

1 3/4 cups of cooked beans is a can?

bananacake
03-25-2009, 07:17 AM
1 3/4 cups of cooked beans is a can?

:yes

amstermarie
03-25-2009, 07:25 AM
do you think honey would work instead of sugar? :scratch and we would have to omit the chocolate :yes2...
but i think ill try.. can't hurt.. and my kids will eat anything any way.. lol i gotta buy more beans though.. we used them all making blk bean patties... :yes
one can.. how many cans are in a 1lb bag...

TrinMama
03-25-2009, 07:39 AM
do you think honey would work instead of sugar? :scratch and we would have to omit the chocolate :yes2...
but i think ill try.. can't hurt.. and my kids will eat anything any way.. lol i gotta buy more beans though.. we used them all making blk bean patties... :yes

:shrug it's worth a shot trying honey. I made some blondies with white beans...they were decent but the the brownies are better. too bad you have to omit the chocolate!

Apparently 1 3/4c of beans is a can, so I would just measure 1 3/4c from your 1lb bag.

amstermarie
03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
shhhhh i might make 2 batches one w/ chocolate.. ( I AM ALLOWED CHOCOLATE :blush )

bananacake
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Apparently 1 3/4c of beans is a can, so I would just measure 1 3/4c from your 1lb bag.

That's cooked beans, that 1.75 = can. A lb of dry beans is about 3 cups. 2/3 cup dry beans = 2 cups cooked.

amstermarie
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM
ahh thanks

Radosny Matka
03-27-2009, 07:27 AM
I just made the batter - and the batter is DELICIOUS!!! :yum I put in a 1/2 cup of cocoa, and I didn't have any choco. chips, but I did find some peanut butter flavored chips from Wilbur that I forgot I had, so I added those. I'm trying them on my friend who will be coming over shortly. She is totally my "guinea pig." I'll be back to update.

ChristmasGirl
03-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Sara, that sounds yummy! :yum

Wendy :poke :hug

TrinMama
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Wendy :poke :hug

:giggle I was going to do the same thing!!

StrangeTraveller
03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
OOoooh I wanna try these, too!

Eggs make me itch, too, so I use the flax + water replacer.

mollobe
03-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Ok, so, I was all excited to try these, so I made them yesterday....and I don't like them! :shifty I couldn't even finish the one I sliced for myself. I could absolutely taste the beans...DH could too. :yuck  we like beans a lot normally, just not chocolate ones i guess. DS on the other hand definitely enjoyed the bites i gave him, but he rarely gets chocolate or other dessert type things.  I'll admit that I DID forget to add the chocolate chips to the batter...could that be what happened?! How could neither DH (who will pretty much eat anything) nor I like something that all of you loved so much? :shrug

ChristmasGirl
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
i don't think that i would like them without the choc. chips! ummm, did you blend them in the blender? did you increase the cocoa powder? those are my only thoughts. :think

mollobe
03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
i don't think that i would like them without the choc. chips! ummm, did you blend them in the blender? did you increase the cocoa powder? those are my only thoughts. :think

I did blend them until smooth, and I used a heaping 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. Must've been the lack of chocolate chips.

milkmommy
03-30-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm tempted just to see.. but.. neither DH or DD wil touch brownies :shrug I need low carb beans deffiently wont do that ;) but I'm still courious...

Deanna

TrinMama
03-30-2009, 04:27 AM
Molly, my DH won't eat them either. He says it tastes like bean curd. :lol :shrug I don't think my girls really had any idea it was with beans.

Radosny Matka
03-30-2009, 05:00 AM
My dh didn't like them either. However, my kids scarfed them! They thought it was their lucky day when I let them have a 2nd brownie.

tempus vernum
03-30-2009, 05:08 AM
No one in my family liked these but reading the entire thread I think I put too many beans in. WHen it calls for 1 can, I usually just use 2 C cooked. . . and I didn't have choc chips BUT this weekend I got gluten free, dairy free choc chips so I can try again :) and I'll be sure to reduce the beans. I used Coconut oil and organic raw sugar :think

I was originally thinking of trying to increase the oil because they were DRY. But now I guess I could decrease the beans and maybe undercook them :think

ANy thoughts on why they texture is like dry cardboard :think

bananacake
03-30-2009, 05:28 AM

I did blend them until smooth, and I used a heaping 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. Must've been the lack of chocolate chips.

I didn't use chips, but I cooked the beans myself. No one that tried them could taste the beans :shrug

TrinMama
03-30-2009, 05:32 AM
No one in my family liked these but reading the entire thread I think I put too many beans in. WHen it calls for 1 can, I usually just use 2 C cooked. . . and I didn't have choc chips BUT this weekend I got gluten free, dairy free choc chips so I can try again :) and I'll be sure to reduce the beans. I used Coconut oil and organic raw sugar :think

I was originally thinking of trying to increase the oil because they were DRY. But now I guess I could decrease the beans and maybe undercook them :think

ANy thoughts on why they texture is like dry cardboard :think

:shrug Mine weren't dry at all. I'd guess too many beans.

swimming with sharks
03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I just made them and the BATTER was delicious... :rockon We're having a GF friend over for play today....we'll see what everyone thinks. :yes

happyhousewife
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I made these today and I am with Molly. the chocolate chips are a must. I didnt have them and they dont really taste beany but not as chocolatey as a brownie. Definitely going to add the chocolate chips next time.

tryin-to-FROG
05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
OK I made them- they did taste better hot out of the oven as they cooled they got a more beanie taste, but still sooooo yummy:) I used my homemade alcohol free vanilla- they were really good:)

cheri
05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm just now seeing this thread. They sound absolutely disgusting. But I'm so curious.

Quiteria
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
I just bought a giant bag of black beans...4lb?...and was wondering what to do with the crockpot full that I made. I think I'm going to blend some up in the name of making soup for myself (which was Plan A for the beans anyhow), and then add the chocolate when no one is looking. They'll all come running when they smell the chocolate, but as long as they think I made them with flour...:shifty

Quiteria
04-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Hmmm...ours came out wet and mushy and thus reminded me of refried beans :doh...I think our oven temperature is messed up,though, so it might not be entirely the recipe's fault.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I wonder, for those who aren't quite grain free, if some sort of grain based flour might improve these....like half bean, half other.

houseforjoy
06-18-2014, 07:21 AM
for those that used canned beans-- i am assuming you drain the liquid right?

so if i am using beans i made in the crock pot i wouldn't want the liquid right?? just scoop some out with a slotted spoon?? and one can of beans is only 1 and 1/2 cup beans not 2.

houseforjoy
06-18-2014, 07:00 PM
okay just to add info in case anyone searches this thread later-- rinsing is important!! i found a few more recipes and blogs that really stressed the rinsing so make sure you rinse your beans!!

mine were crockpot beans that were done a few days ago so i had quite the job since all the liquid had thickened around them but i just rinsed in warm water over and over and they eventually got there:giggle

mummy2boys
06-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Subbing so I can try this later :smile