PDA

View Full Version : What about reusable grocery bags? - what about my trash??

SansSouci
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
This may be the worldest dumbest green question...

I am wanting to switch to reusable grocery bags. I'm so excited!!!! But what will I do for trash bags under the kitchen sink? I get paper bags from the grocery store, and I use them under my sink as my trash can. Yes, I have a house trash can out in the garage (since ds just tips it over all the time if it's in the house), which is not far from the kitchen. But I really like my under sink trash situation, where I re-use the paper bags. So... What will I do once I switch to reusable grocery bags.

I mean... I've re-used my grocery bags (paper & plastic) forever! I can't think of what to do instead.

Jenjardin
05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I use the plastic grocery bags in all of the small waste cans throughout the house. I bought some reusable bags, but I don't think I'll run out of plastic bags any time soon since I have so many. Maybe you can ask a friend or a neighbor for theirs if they have some.

2sunshines
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I also re-use grocery bags from the store for my trash and have reusable grocery bags. So this is what I do.

I use my reusable bags mostly, but when my garbage bag stash is running low, I will get the regular bags. One shopping trip stocks me up on garbage bags for quite a while. :yes

I figure it's okay to get the plastic or paper bags since I"m using them and it's actually saving us money because I do'n thav eto buy garbage bags, but I certainly don't need NEARLY as many as I would get if I don't use my reusable grocery bags.

HummusDip
05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Can you get a cloth one?

BHope
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
You could also get a composter for under your sink. Then put your dry items in a plastic container without a liner. Assuming you may need to swish/clean your garbage container every week or so, it might work. :think (Okay, I'm writing this under the premise that you take your kitchen trash out to a larger outdoors can. This idea would not work if your garbage man picks up garbage bags.)

2sunshines
05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Then put your dry items in a plastic container without a liner.

Our garbage man won't pick up loose trash in a big container. If we do it that way, he leaves a note that the trash has to be bagged, even within a big trash container.

MarynMunchkins
05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Honestly, I usually have enough from the trips I forget to bring my bags to last me. :shifty

mamahammer
05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Honestly, I usually have enough from the trips I forget to bring my bags to last me. :shifty

Yeah, that :O

Katiebug
05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I use my reusable bags mostly, but when my garbage bag stash is running low, I will get the regular bags. One shopping trip stocks me up on garbage bags for quite a while.

I figure it's okay to get the plastic or paper bags since I"m using them and it's actually saving us money because I do'n thav eto buy garbage bags, but I certainly don't need NEARLY as many as I would get if I don't use my reusable grocery bags.

:yes Ditto.

blossomnatalia
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I use my reusable bags mostly, but when my garbage bag stash is running low, I will get the regular bags. One shopping trip stocks me up on garbage bags for quite a while.

:yes Ditto.

me too.

SansSouci
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Hmm.... okay. I am sure I will forget to bring mine (due to taking a different car, or just forgetting to bring them in with me), so that makes sense.

Lately I've been asking for paper instead of plastic. And they cram tons of groceries into just a few paper bags (which really drives me nuts, and is actually the thing that has fueled me to want to switch to my own bags). So, the paper bags from the grocery store only last me a week, and by then it's time to go grocery shopping again.

So... I guess the forgetting thing would work, as long as I ask for plastic, instead of paper.

KatieMae
05-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Ditto

Jenjardin
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Hmm.... okay. I am sure I will forget to bring mine (due to taking a different car, or just forgetting to bring them in with me), so that makes sense.

Lately I've been asking for paper instead of plastic. And they cram tons of groceries into just a few paper bags (which really drives me nuts, and is actually the thing that has fueled me to want to switch to my own bags). So, the paper bags from the grocery store only last me a week, and by then it's time to go grocery shopping again.

So... I guess the forgetting thing would work, as long as I ask for plastic, instead of paper.

We don't even have the option of paper at our stores anymore.

LittleSweetPeas
05-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah, just get paper every other visit or so. For the bathroom cans you could forgo the reusable ones each time you go to Target or whatever additional stores you go to. You'll make a big difference just doing that. OR you could pick up a box of small wastebasket bags.

Punkie
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
If you're doing it for environmental reasons then you can get the biodegradable trash bags for those baskets. That way you can avoid the plastic leaching into our water and taking forever to break down. :shifty

If you're just doing it for frugality, then I think the other suggestions would be the best way to go :)

SansSouci
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
If you're doing it for environmental reasons then you can get the biodegradable trash bags for those baskets.

Where do you find biodegradable trash bags? Can you order them through Frontier??

Punkie
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
It doesn't look like Frontier has any. I only see the recycled ones on there (on pg 241 of the yearly catalog). My grocery store sells the biodegradable ones.