PDA

View Full Version : whole sirloin tip?

schmamy
05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Whole sirloin tip is on sale this week for $1.99/lb. Was thinking of buying some, but I've never used it before...what do you do with it? I looked in my trusty BHG cookbook but it doesn't list that cut. Is it the kind you can cut up into small pieces and use in various things like stirfry? Or do you cook it in one big chunk like a roast? :think

schmamy
05-05-2008, 12:54 PM
anyone? I need to make a meal plan and get to the grocery.

RealLifeMama
05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
I would think it is very large. Usually when anything in the Meat Dept says "Whole...." for a low price per pound, it is a huge piece of meat! I would just have the butcher cut it up into different things. A few steaks, a roast, and some chunky bits. If they can't cut it, I would not buy it.

schmamy
05-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I would think it is very large. Usually when anything in the Meat Dept says "Whole...." for a low price per pound, it is a huge piece of meat! I would just have the butcher cut it up into different things. A few steaks, a roast, and some chunky bits. If they can't cut it, I would not buy it.

:yes it was 8 pounds...I should have had them cut it up but a) I didn't see the sign confirming they'd do that (though I thought they might), and b) I was in a bad mood and didn't feel like looking for an employee and dealing with it. :blush I went ahead and bought it anyway...we have a good set of knives and DH is adventurous like that (he once brought home a 14-pound slab of ribeye because he got it cheaper that way) so I figure between the two of us we can figure out how to cut it up. I hope. Just so we don't end up trying to grill a piece of meat that should have been cooked in liquid for hours...we'll see!