PDA

View Full Version : Calling all fermenting mamas!

Praise
05-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Does anyone here ferment?

Quick question: is there anything I can use in my fermenting besides whey?

Herbwifemama
05-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to get really into fermenting- I just grew my own scoby from a bottle of kombucha, planning on actually drinking the next batch, haha. (The first batch was WAY too sour!) I also add whey to my homemade mayo and ketchup, and have been known to make sourdough, though right now, I'm gluten free. I don't think they have sourdough gluten free bread- though I should perhaps check into it. :)

I also culture yogurt (and make yogurt cheese), and am interested in kefir and beer and wine too. Oh, and kimchee and pickles. :)

cobluegirl
05-02-2008, 06:40 PM
lemon juice will ferment

Praise
05-02-2008, 07:40 PM
lemon juice will ferment

:cheer Do I add the lemon juice in the same quantities as the whey?

MessianicMama, how inspiring! :yes

Soliloquy
05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
yes, it is my understanding that lemon juice and whey are fairly interchangable but I've not used lemon juice, only whey.

We make homemade kefir, yogurt, & kombucha. I've made my own fermented salsa a few times as well as fermented pickles. :yum I cannot eat pickles made in vinegar, yuck. I have been meaning to try and catch some wild yeast in a sourdough starter--I've got the rye and everything, just haven't done it yet. When we eat grains, we don't necessarily ferment them, but we do soak them overnight in a kefir or yogurt mixture. :yum

MtnMama
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
As you know, we do sugar-water kefir! :D

But I'm wanting to know more! :listen

Blue Savannah
05-02-2008, 07:49 PM
:cup

JJsMom
05-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I also add whey to my homemade mayo and ketchup, and have been known to make sourdough, though right now, I'm gluten free. I don't think they have sourdough gluten free bread- though I should perhaps check into it. :)

I just got an e-mail article from a friend that said that some people who cannot tolerate gluten, can tolerate it in sourdough bread. :think PM me if you'd like me to forward that.

I do kombucha and I am going to be doing water kefir soon! :woohoo ( :hug)
I also hope to do sourdough soon but I just feel a little stretched at the moment.

I have used lemon juice to soak my grains. :yes

cobluegirl
05-02-2008, 08:16 PM
A great book on fermentation is Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz.

Ima LeShalosh
05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/mrsbeasley.gifanother Kefir, Kombucha, Yogurt makin mama here

MamaLovesDaddy
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
have been known to make sourdough, though right now, I'm gluten free. I don't think they have sourdough gluten free bread- though I should perhaps check into it

You can make wheat-free sourdough. You have to start out with a rye starter then use any grain you like - the one I like best is made with Spelt. I am not gluten intolerant - but I am wheat intolerant (caused liver issues). But any grain unsoaked or unsoured does not digest well for me. I don't have trouble with the rye/spelt (or kamut) sourdough and it's YUMMY! (I know it does has a little gluten in the flour - although nothing like wheat)

You could use a little Apple cider vinegar (or kombucha) to help ferment - works very well.

Herbwifemama
05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
rye has gluten in it too-- though you bring up a good point- I find that I have less issues with sprouted wheat breads than I do with gluten free nonsprouted grains... :think

joby'smom
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
You ladies amaze me. I enjoy learning from you!

:gcm

cobluegirl
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
The sprouting of the grains does make them easier to digest which is why the fermenting/sprouting is suggested.

Herbwifemama
05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I know. But that doesn't mean I do it all the time. :shifty

cobluegirl
05-02-2008, 09:39 PM
((HUGs)) that wasn't directed at you.. :heart :heart just was just throwing it out there for anyone who didn't know.

Praise
05-03-2008, 05:20 AM
I forgot to say what we do! :doh

We do sugar-water kefir. :yum I've done pickles, which dh *loves*. Next on my list is beet kvass, sourdough bread, and then kombucha.

LisaM, were did you get your salsa recipe? I made homemade refried beans, and dd would love to mix that in with it! :yes

Soliloquy
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
A great book on fermentation is Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz.

:yes :yes :yes :yes

I checked it out of the library once and it's fabulous. It's definitely one worth buying, IMO.

happyhousewife
05-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I was wondering how I could learn more about this...including step by step directions. I am very interested. :yes

cobluegirl
05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.wildfermentation.com/

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/controversies/fermentedfoods.htm

http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/ferfun.html

happyhousewife
05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
:ty Rachel :heart

Praise
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
:ty Rachel :heart

Ditto! I didn't know about two of those sites!

cobluegirl
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
:heart :heart

Soliloquy
05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
LisaM, were did you get your salsa recipe?

From Nourishing Traditions. I can post a recipe if you don't have that book. Basically, you dice tomatoes, onions, & cilantro, add sea salt, hot pepper, and whey and let it sit at room temp for a few days.

I forgot that I've made beet kvass, too. It's pretty tasty and very easy. I want to try making regular kvass. They sell it at the farm where we buy raw milk but it's pretty pricey.

I tried making pineapple vinegar once but it got moldy. I think my pineapple was over-ripe. I hope to make sauerkraut this fall. I'm a little worried about it exploding because that happened to a friend of mine.

herbalwriter
05-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Just chiming in - we use sourdough and no commercial yeast for all of our breads and even pizza dough. I ordered my starter from Sourdoughs INternational, http://www.sourdo.com/

This sourdough "experiment" was part of my herbalist education, and I got addicted and use it exclusively.

The gluten is "digested" somewhat by the fermentation and that is why sometimes people with gluten sensitivity can eat sourdough bread - real sourdough, not commercial, which loaves often have baker's yeast in them as well as the sourdough leaven. ;)

DancingWithElves
07-28-2008, 07:43 PM
We have two happy jars of sourdough going: one actually sour, the other just wild yeast. Love ginger beer! (but it takes a while to make and we drink it oh so fast.) Just finished kimchi: it is delicious. Every fall we do kraut.
Funny story about fermenting: where I grew up, we had raw, non-homogenized milk. So, as far as I was concerned, making yogurt, cheese, ricotta, etc. was just a matter of days (in summer hours) and leaving milk out on the counter... Well, the first time I got a taste for something fermented while in college in the US, I just left out a jug, of well, whatever Wal-Mart carried. And I just could not understand why it would not sour properly for so long...and then it didn't ferment, it spoiled. :shrug oh, so young...so naive. It was much later that I learned what is really in the milk bottle in the store :smile oy!

ArmsOfLove
07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm loving my kombucha :)

Soliloquy
07-29-2008, 06:03 AM

:rockon I can't make it fast enough here--got 4 gallons going at a time and it's still not enough :giggle

herbalwriter
07-29-2008, 11:33 AM

:rockon I can't make it fast enough here--got 4 gallons going at a time and it's still not enough :giggle

I am googling kombucha-fascinating! Tell me more!

Naked Camper
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
:popcorn

Soliloquy
07-30-2008, 07:01 AM
I am googling kombucha-fascinating! Tell me more!

:nak
oh my, where to start . . . . it's an amazingly delicious and amazingly healthful ancient, fermented beverage. If you go to a natural food store, look for "GT's" or "Synergy" kombucha. If you've never had it b4, you may want to start w/ flavored. Grape & strawberry are my faves. It's expensive to buy ($4-$5 for 16 ozs) but inexpensive to make at home :)

Praise
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Tried the salsa, Lisa, and loved it! But, dd didn't like it. :shrug

Just tonight started my sauerkraut fermenting. Looking for something that dd will like. :think

Need to get on the kombucha wagon. Perhaps dd will like that. :shrug2

herbalwriter
07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd love to make kombucha at home - nothing that involves sweet tea can be bad imo! - but right now I can't afford a starter. But that's okay - maybe I should try it bottled first anyway to see if we like it. Is the bottled about the same flavor (if it's not fruit flavored) as homemade?

I want to do my own sauerkraut, too - I love that with kale in the winter. Where do you mamas find directions for sauerkraut?

p.s. "Fermenting Mamas" would make a great name for a rock band. :P~

rstump
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Check the wild fermentation site. He has the best directions I have found.

I would check with any local WAPF chapter leaders or TF mamas....most will give you a SCOBY for free. They multiple like CRAZY

herbalwriter
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM

I would check with any local WAPF chapter leaders or TF mamas....most will give you a SCOBY for free. They multiple like CRAZY

THank you - but what do all your acronyms mean? :O

rstump
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM

THank you - but what do all your acronyms mean? :O

SCOBY is the starter for the Kombucha.

WAPF - Weston A Price foundation http://www.westonaprice.org/localchapters/index.html You can find your local chapter...they all do fermenting

TF - Traditional Foods...just another way to say a WAPF - Traditional Foods - Fermenting kinda person.

herbalwriter
07-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Thank you again! :)

Soliloquy
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
PM me if you'd like a kombucha scoby. I can send you one for priority postage in a about two weeks.

herbalwriter
07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
WOW! Thank you Lisa! Does it come with directions? I wouldn't want to spoil it. (PMing you) :kiss

Soliloquy
07-31-2008, 05:35 AM
Does it come with directions? I wouldn't want to spoil it.

I can send you a basic recipe. If you google it you'll find a hundred different recipes but they're all basically the same w/ minor variations. I've found kombucha to be very forgiving as long as you stick to a few basics--keep the scoby away from hot water and mold spores. Some sites say to ONLY use distilled water--I don't. Some sites say to NEVER refrigerate your scoby--I do. My SCOBYs are fine.

herbalwriter
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM

I can send you a basic recipe. If you google it you'll find a hundred different recipes but they're all basically the same w/ minor variations. I've found kombucha to be very forgiving as long as you stick to a few basics--keep the scoby away from hot water and mold spores. Some sites say to ONLY use distilled water--I don't. Some sites say to NEVER refrigerate your scoby--I do. My SCOBYs are fine.

Thanks for the advice...I always listen to experience first, online directions second. ;) I can't resist another crack ... scoby don't and scoby do's... :giggle Sorry. :shifty

Hopeful
08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
What does homemade kombucha taste like?
I tried the shop bought version and couldn't swallow even a mouthful - it was awful!! Like drinking neat apple cider vinegar. :sick

cobluegirl
08-23-2008, 02:48 PM
That is kind of what it tastes like...hehe... it gets more sour the longer you let it ferment...

Soliloquy
08-25-2008, 07:15 AM
What does homemade kombucha taste like?
I tried the shop bought version and couldn't swallow even a mouthful - it was awful!! Like drinking neat apple cider vinegar. :sick

Yes, it is tart--we love it. I tell people it's a bit like hard apple cider. When you make it at home you can adjust how sweet or tart it is by how long you let it ferment, as Rachel wrote. One time I didn't let ours ferment long enough (for us) and it was too sweet for our taste. If you leave it for 7-10 days it will be much sweeter with only a hit of tartness. We leave ours to ferment for 14 days in summer, 18 days or so in winter. You can also add fruit juice once it's done.

herbalwriter
08-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Can you just add more sugar to it once it's done fermenting?

Soliloquy
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM

:nak sure, you could do that but that would negate some of the health benefits of drinking it :wink juice would be better.

herbalwriter
08-26-2008, 07:55 AM

:nak sure, you could do that but that would negate some of the health benefits of drinking it :wink juice would be better.

Well I guess that's true. :) But don't you use a lot of white sugar when you make the kombucha anyway? or does the fermentation change the properties of the white sugar? Sorry to be so inquisitive. :O

cobluegirl
08-26-2008, 08:27 AM
The Scoby eats the sugar while brewing..so yes the properties change

herbalwriter
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh, that makes sense. :)

Soliloquy
08-27-2008, 07:59 AM
The Scoby eats the sugar while brewing..so yes the properties change

:nak yes, there's very few carbs in the finished product

Praise
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Anyone have any luck feeding their toddlers fermented food? And if so, what?

I've tried pickles, sauerkraut, salsa, :think Can't remember what else. All fully rejected. :shrug

(Hope to do kombucha in the nearish future. :yes)

Herbwifemama
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Dd loves 'bucha. :) I haven't tried anything else. I think a big part of her liking it was me drinking it, and kind of being reluctant to let her have some, iykwim. ;)

rstump
08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
My kids love Kombucha, Kefir, sauerkraut, ginger carrots, pickles, beets, fruit butters. They eat everything we do...the more sour the better for the younger ones.

Soliloquy
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Anyone have any luck feeding their toddlers fermented food? And if so, what?

I've tried pickles, sauerkraut, salsa, :think Can't remember what else. All fully rejected. :shrug

Just keep making it & consumung in yourself and in time they'll likely learn to love it. It will really help if you eliminate or cut waaaay back on sugar and processed foods (including non-fermented pickles) to adjust their tastes. Gracie wouldn't go near kombucha at first but now she likes it. They both LOVE my brine pickles. :yum

Praise
08-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Just keep making it & consumung in yourself and in time they'll likely learn to love it. It will really help if you eliminate or cut waaaay back on sugar and processed foods (including non-fermented pickles) to adjust their tastes. Gracie wouldn't go near kombucha at first but now she likes it. They both LOVE my brine pickles. :yum

Will keep at it then. :yes We're half way there--no processed food or sugar here! :tu

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Is sourdough really that easy to make a starter? just setting out flour and water.

What does kiefer taste like?

rstump
08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Milk Kefir is basically a sour tasting yogurt drink.

Juice/water kefir is more like a sour fizzy soda. Sometimes a little alcoholic tasting.

SPKarenO
08-28-2008, 03:36 PM
:roll
i'm sorry. fermentating mamas. :lol
that's funny. :giggle
like i'm sitting her rotting or something. :lol

ahh. deep breath. okay. composure regained.

i have nothing to add, but thanks for the laugh.

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Milk Kefir is basically a sour tasting yogurt drink.

Juice/water kefir is more like a sour fizzy soda. Sometimes a little alcoholic tasting.

:yum both sound good. So how do I get kefir starters? off to google....

rstump
08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
What you really want are kefir grains. The grow and then people share the extras. The kefir "starters" are not nearly as good and not traditional.

If you want to know everything ever about kefir....google "Dom's kefir site"

herbalwriter
08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
:roll
i'm sorry. fermentating mamas. :lol
that's funny. :giggle
like i'm sitting her rotting or something. :lol

ahh. deep breath. okay. composure regained.

i have nothing to add, but thanks for the laugh.

I know - in one of my posts on here I said "Fermenting Mamas" would be a great name for a rock band. :giggle

I purchased my sourdough starter - starting one from scratch is possible, but tough. It's a one time purchase and you can pick a starter to suit your needs. I can't find the link right now to the site or I'd post it. :doh

Thankfulforgrace
11-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Could you post a recipe or PM me? I'm very interested in it :)

edit to sub...

Soliloquy
11-30-2008, 06:11 PM
this is a source for cultures http://www.gemcultures.com/

kombucha recipe:

Materials & ingredients
1 kombucha SCOBY
1 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons black tea (or 6 tea bags). Organic is preferred to avoid toxic levels of fluoride.
12 cups water, preferably filtered or distilled
½ cup kombucha from previous batch
Large pot or tea kettle**
Wide-mouth gallon-size glass jar**
Bottles or covered carafe**
Clean dishtowel**
Large rubber band
Funnel

Overnight Method
1.Bring 12 cups of water to a boil.
2.Stir in 1 cup sugar.
3.Add loose tea in a tea ball or add tea bags.
4.Cover and let sit overnight (or all day) until tea is room temperature.
5.Remove tea. Stir again and pour into gallon-size jar.
6.Add ½ kombucha & SCOBY.
7.Cover mouth of jar with the clean dishtowel and secure with a rubber band.
8.Place in a cool dark place and leave undisturbed for 7-14 days in summer, 10-20 days in winter. A “baby” SCOBY will grow on the surface.
9.Remove SCOBY and place in a bowl. Decant or scoop out ½ kombucha and pour over SCOBY. Pour the rest of the kombucha in bottles or a carafe. Cover and refrigerate.

Quick Method
1.Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
2.Stir in 1 cup sugar.
3.Add loose tea in a tea ball or add tea bags.
4.Cover and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
5.Remove tea. Add 8 cups of COLD water.
6.Make sure the tea is room temperature—hot water will kill the SCOBY.
7.Pour into gallon-size jar, add ½ kombucha & SCOBY.
8.Cover mouth of jar with the clean dishtowel and secure with a rubber band.
9.Place in a dark place and leave undisturbed for 7-14 days in summer, 10-20 days in winter. A “baby” SCOBY will grow on the surface.
10.Remove SCOBY and place in a bowl. Decant or scoop out ½ kombucha and pour over SCOBY. Pour the rest of the kombucha in bottles or a carafe. Cover and refrigerate.

cobluegirl
11-30-2008, 06:12 PM
What are the ** for??

Soliloquy
11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
What are the ** for??

I forgot to include my notes. :doh

**There should not be any soap residue on the utensils. Ideally, utensils should be washed with natural dish soap or distilled vinegar. If this is unavailable, rinse them very thoroughly before use. Do not use any bleach or bleach-containing products.

You do NOT need to wash the gallon-size jar in between batches as long as you start the next batch right away. The brown sludge on the bottom is spent yeast cells. This is beneficial both to drink and to have in the brew container. You can leave it in the brew jar or drink it as you choose. Re-using the brew container without washing is called “continuous culture” and is a good way to keep your SCOBY happy.

Every batch will grow a new SCOBY. Always keep one extra SCOBY in the refrigerator—in a covered glass jar with enough kombucha to cover. It’s a good ideal to switch out your reserve SCOBY once in awhile. The rest can be composted, given away, thrown away, or even eaten.

It is normal for SCOBYs to be whitish, brownish, mottled, bubbled, and have holes. It is normal for brown, spent yeast cells to dangle off the SCOBY. It is NOT normal for there to be fuzzy spots or very dark black spots. This is mold. The SCOBY and all the brew should be thrown away if this happens. Start over with very clean utensils and all fresh ingredients. Try to find the source of the mold (produce, etc.). Mold is quite rare in brewing kombucha. You will probably never see it, but if you do, do not drink the resulting brew.

The length of brewing time depends on the temperature and your taste preference. The longer you let it brew, the more sour the kombucha will be. If you find it hard to drink kombucha, start out with a shorter brew and gradually increase as your taste adjusts. It is healthier to drink a more sour brew—lower glycemic index, more vitamins, etc.