PDA

View Full Version : Do I Give away or donate for a yard sale?

poopoo
05-02-2008, 04:19 AM
I have a bunch of stuff I need to get rid of. BUT, which is better to do, GIVE it away (I am on FreeCycle.org) or donate it to my church to put into their yard sale? I have alot of BIG things and I need to get it out of my house before I can really start going through the other stuff, due to not having a lot of extra room to work. If I donate it to our churche's yard sale, I CAN'T take anything over until a day or two before the sale which is not until Memorial weekend. They don't want the big stuff brought over until closer to the day.

PooPoo

KatieMae
05-02-2008, 04:44 AM
In your situation of needing the stuff gone ASAP so you can keep working, I would put a post on FreeCycle to say that I'm having a Freebies Fest. Like a yard sale, but it's all free. My biggest problem with FC is getting someone to show up at the right time, so this way I would designate a time - like 9am-Noon on Saturday - when I would have all my stuff on my porch (or the driveway, or outside the garage, whatever works for you) and they just rummage thru it & take what they want.

Another alternative - find out if any charities will pick up donations at your home, or you could take the stuff to a Goodwill or other donation drop-off location.

BHope
05-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Our freecycle doesn't let us post free-for-alls. But Craigslist would.

RiverRock
05-02-2008, 08:33 AM
I think I would try Freecycle, and if nobody takes it away then donate. If you can't wait until the yard sale then you could donate to a charity or thrift store. I honesty am tired of Freecyle. So many questions to field, and then too often the people are no-shows. Then after apologizing about not having a car they ask if you can deliver it. Since my city is a sprawling one it is usually a 20 min. drive to people's houses. I think people who live in the city core have better experiences with Freecyle.

Heather Micaela
05-02-2008, 08:39 AM
can you have a garage sale at YOUR place and then give the $$ directly to your church? IF you have enough for a garage sale, I would do one this weekend and be willing to just give most of it away. The rest that is re-sellable I would donate to a charity thrift shop. What was left from that that might have some use I would post on freecycle with the disclaimer that it will be trash in 3 days

joystrength
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
if it's to benefit the youth group, etc, why not see if some youth will come manage the sale for you ... and let the funds go to the group??