PDA

View Full Version : Will It Keep?

jenny_islander
04-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I have a recipe for a gelatin mold called New Year's Pudding that is at least a hundred years old (paraphrase below):

1/2 box plain gelatin
1/2 cup water
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cream
1 cup sherry
Juice of 1 sweet orange
Crystallized fruit
Ladyfingers, cut into small pieces
Macaroons steeped in orange juice

Steep gelatin in water until soft. Meanwhile, scald milk. Stir in sugar and gelatin until dissolved. Strain, add cream, and cool. Add the sherry and orange juice when the mixture begins to thicken. Pour a little into your mold and turn to coat completely. Layer fruit, ladyfingers, and macaroons in mold: do not pack. Pour in remainder of gelatin mixture and chill until firm. Serve with whipped cream flavored with grated orange peel.

It looks interesting, but not having done much gelatin cookery, I have some questions:

1. Can I presume that this is made with half a standard (4-serving) box, judging from the proportions of the other ingredients?
2. Strain? Through cheesecloth or a fine sieve? :scratch Do I skip this step if using modern powdered plain gelatin?
3. How well would leftovers keep in the fridge? Would the structure break down within a day or two? Should I make it only if I can count on its all being eaten up at once?
4. Should I be using a 5-cup mold? 6-cup? Bigger?

Any feedback would be welcome!

backtobasicsmum
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't have a clue, but I'm bumping this up for you!!! :heart

jenny_islander
05-02-2008, 07:30 PM
More generally, how long does prepared Jello keep in the fridge?