PDA

View Full Version : produce-storing it and keeping it fresh?

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Until our garden starts becoming ready, we get most of our produce from the grocery store(or sometimes from a stand on the side of the road/flea market)

So what is the best way to store it and keep it fresh? Growing-up my mom didn't have to worry about that too much b/c we were a very large family..so I don't remember learning what she did? I usually just put it in the crisper and keep it on low? and for potatoes and onions I store in a dark, cooler place. and of course veggies or fruits that don't require refrigeration I leave on the counter..

are there certain fruits or vegetables that should be washed and prepared a certain way to make it more convenient and stay fresh longer?

I saw some "green bags" in the store today that they are supposed to keep it fresh "longer" but they look made of plastic and I forgot what it said on the package thats makes them stay fresh longer...something to do w/ nitrogen?

sorry if this post is confusing, i am rushing..i need to go put dd to bed, be back :)

Mert
04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
I know that it's best to leave berries and grapes on the vine or with their tops and no washing until you're ready to serve. Other than that, I'm interested in what others have to say.

MarynMunchkins
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I know mushrooms shouldn't be kept in plastic or Styrofoam. They need air to breathe - so they get put into a paper bag.

If you put bananas in the fridge the skin turns black, but the flesh keeps longer.

Tomatoes and apples shouldn't be stored near each other because apples give off a gas that rot tomatoes.

Oh, and avocados need to be at room temperature to ripen, so putting them in the fridge can help keep them a couple extra days.

:) That's all I can think of.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Wow, that was the fastest dd went to bed...she was so tired!

Thank you both, I didn't know any of those except the bananas....

so I wonder if all fruit/veg that is not ripe yet is best to leave at room tempeture if you want it to ripen? (thats what I've always done)?

gentlemommy
04-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Tomatoes and apples shouldn't be stored near each other because apples give off a gas that rot tomatoes.

Interesting, I didn't know that. :)