PDA

View Full Version : Organic Fertilizer and/or Weed/Pest Control?

Shrewsburys Whimsy
04-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Is this a contradiction in terms? I know I can't expect non-organic results the first year of organic gardening since the soil has to build up natural resistances and such. But are there things I can do to help the organic process along?

All I really know about is composting and even thats a little sketchy but I can google to figure that part out!

Are there natural, chemical free things I can do to help my little plants along this year?

joy
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
You could do a little in-place composting in your garden beds. If there are things already growing, I wouldn't do this a lot - but occationaly when you have some fruits and veggie leftovers, puree them, add some water to the mix and then water your garden with it. When you have non-diet soda, milk or coffee to throw out, you could toss it in there too. Also used coffee grounds.

This adds nutrients that worms and beneficial bacteria will thrive on, and that equals good dirt. Small particles is key for faster results - you want this stuff to be ready for the little critters to eat now.

There are other good things too - but this is the easiest and is free, and mimics nature (where random things fall to the ground already).

I don't know much about weed / pest control. I've never tried to take those on. Newspaper under mulch is the only weed control I've done other than just removing them. I'm not there yet.

Shrewsburys Whimsy
05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks! I wasn't sure about using compost dirt after plants began to grow ... but coffee grounds is something I can do everyday :rockon I'd never thought about pureeing veggie and fruit waste to water plants with but thats brilliant. Thanks for the tip!

Iarwain
05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
You can use compost on top of the soil (top dressinng) or make compost tea. You don't want to dig it in close to the plants so you don't disturb the roots.

There are many types of organic fertilizers out there. One of my favorites is fish emulsion. It really gives a boost to the plants! Other things you might add could depend on your particular soil and its needs.

The very best organic weed control is mulch. A nice thick layer (usually 2-3 inches) of some kind of organic (biodegradeable) mulch will keep the weeds from coming up. Grass clippings work quite nicely. I have used newspaper too, with something layered over it to hold it down.

WanderingJuniper
05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I use grass clippings and shredded leaves as the mulch. I used coffee grounds in the past but found that unless I spread the grounds out in a tray and let them really dry prior to applying they tend to grow mold. :shrug

Depending on the pest issue I've crushed egg shells in the past. Works for slugs and such.
BAking soda water is great if your plants get a fungus. Wish I knew that the first time I grew veggies.

canadiyank
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Excellent suggestions. I wouldn't put coffeegrounds on everything, although roses like them. They are good in compost too.

My favourite source of pre-made fertilizer/weed/pest control is www.gardensalive.com :tu