PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of Cigarette Smokey Odor??

RealLifeMama
04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Ugh!
I was so excited, we found what we thought was a good deal on a fun bed for DD and went to pick it up yesterday. [On craigslist]
Now that it is home and in DD's room, it reeks of cigarette smoke!! It is wooden, and it was in the little girl's room, I can't believe it would smell so bad!
I am really upset by this.
Any idea how we can get the odor out?
My poor DD was so excited. :(

For clarification, it is the wooden parts of the bed that smell. And the dresser.
I am sure the mattress reeks, too, but I think we can just use DD's old mattress.

RealLifeMama
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Anyone???
Please?
Now our upstairs hallway is starting to smell!
Ugh!
:sick

Katiebug
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
So the wood smells? Or a matress? If it's the wood, try lemon or orange oil rubbed into it. If it's a matress, I don't think there is any hope.

How sad, though :cry

milkmommy
04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
is it the bed that smells like the wood frame part of the mattress?
Some family memebers bought a home recently a beautiful home they got a great dea lon but the fact the previous owners smoked was a big reason why... One thing they did to remvove the nicatine from the wood base boards and junk was a solution of disp soap to washing soda (diluted with water and a vinager rinse. It took a few times but it did work.
Deanna

RealLifeMama
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Sorry I was not clear. I will go edit my OP.
It is not the mattress. We are using DD's old mattress. , I am talking about the wood. The bed is a loft bed with a ladder and and slide. There is also a dresser. She has had a mattress and box spring for a long time, but they have just sat on the ground. We have been looking for the right bed for her for a long time.

It also has a castle tent thing that goes over the slide. We haven't brought the tent part into the house yet. It is canvas...I can only imagine how awful that smells. :sick I guess I could machine wash that part, but if I do, it will probably be ruined.
We should not have bought it. :(

RealLifeMama
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
One thing they did to remvove the nicatine from the wood base boards and junk was a solution of disp soap to washing soda (diluted with water and a vinager rinse. It took a few times but it did work.
Deanna

Wash with the soda/soap/water and then rinse with a vinegar/water solution, or rinse with straight vinegar?

Rabbit
04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Definitely take it outside and wash it with lots of sudsy soapy water. I'd rinse with plain water our of the hose, and then pour a vinegar water mix over it. Do the whole thing as quickly as possible, so that the wood soaks up as little water as possible. After that, dry it really well with towels, and rub it down with a natural wood polish, like oil and lemon. Should be perfect.

milkmommy
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
One thing they did to remvove the nicatine from the wood base boards and junk was a solution of disp soap to washing soda (diluted with water and a vinager rinse. It took a few times but it did work.
Deanna

Wash with the soda/soap/water and then rinse with a vinegar/water solution, or rinse with straight vinegar?

Let me Email her and ask exactly I know they "restored" a lot of wood in there home. I know they did a rub down with a soap washing soda solution but not sure of the exact ratio and such and not sure if it was straight vinager or what. I'll drop my aunt an email and ask...

Deanna