PDA

View Full Version : I love my flower garden!!!!

Teacher Mom
04-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I have a large area in front of the house and on the one side for my flower garden. It looks pretty as you drive by or when you pull in the driveway. After a long, cold winter, it is just so refreshing and beautiful. I have tons (100+) of tulips and hyacinths that are all in bloom right now and look and smell so pretty. The front of the house has about 50 hostas that fill in the space after the blooms fade away. The side has lots of flowering perennials that are all popping up for summer blooms. I found a miniature phlox the other day and bought those for the front border instead of the annuals I usually end up picking up each spring. The side garden blooms from spring to fall with a variety of colors. The hummingbirds and butterflies are so happy!!!

There were moments today when I just could not stop staring at my garden. When we bought this house, we had to work hard to get rid of the plants that were there. I forget what they were called right now, but they were invasive and had taken over the entire area. Since it was so close to our house, we didn't want to use any harsh chemicals to kill them off to get into our well water supply. So needless to say, I had to wait a few seasons of constant rottotilling for them to finally be killed off. Ugh.

But it was worth the wait. I am so thankful to God for blessing us.

Hermana Linda
04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Sounds wonderful. Glory to His name! :amen

Can you share a pic? :-)

Teacher Mom
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
:shrug

I am not this advanced in technology :P~ Thats why I tried to describe in lots of detail. But, of course, a picture is worth a 1000 words. My one friend said it looks like a picture out of Better Homes and Gardens. Wow! What a compliment!!! :melting

Hermana Linda
04-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok, then. If you can't post a pic, I'll just take a look at Better Homes and Gardens! :P~

canadiyank
04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Oooooh, I want a pic, too? Can your dh help? :P (That's what I did for years until I figured it out myself. :) )

Sounds lovely! I like hostas but where we live it pretty much too sunny for them, although I think they could go in one spot. I might try some there.

Teacher Mom
04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I will have to ask him later. He is out in the back.

Anyway, I was thinking I probably should not have posted this. I am so lame without a picture!!!! The hyacinths are starting to die on me and we are having a cold spell, so the tulips were all closed hiding today. The hostas are just starting to pop out of the ground. I had bought them at lowes fall clearance sale a few years ago for $1 a piece or something like that. They were small, but since I needed a lot for the space I wanted, I was willing to wait a few years for them to fill in. They should be really nice this year too. The front of the house faces west so it is shaded most of the day and blocked by huge trees from the evening sun.

I love hostas. My husband says I have a problem. :P~

LadybugSam
04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
That sounds wonderful :heart :heart

canadiyank
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
You're not lame w/o a picture. I love the description already in my mind's eye! :heart

I like hostas, too! The big ones are sooo spendy, so that's cool you got them for a good price. :tu My parents bought a bunch of tiny ones and they are really filling in. :yes