PDA

View Full Version : I need a way to keep water in a kiddie pool safe...

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
hopefully w/out chemicals! We've got a very large kiddie pool for dd and we (well our neighbour with his tractor) dug a hole to put it in...and we didn't plan on changing the water each time we use it(that would be impossible) but I am worried about it becoming contaminated. Any suggestions on how to keep it safe?

cmecu2
04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't know anything you can do offhand besides chemicals. Just shock it and add a little bit of baking soda for the ph level. That's what we do with our pool but we do chlorine tablets but we have a 24' above ground pool. You can buy non chlorine products for it instead. They probably cost a bit more. Even when we had a little pool we did the shock. when you have a small pool you don't have to do an entire bag just a little bit. Your water will turn green if you don't keep some sort of chemical in it. We even cleaned the bugs and stuff out of it before the girls would swim in it. Now we do it with the big pool. Best free pool ever!

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
thanks....I'll check around here and see what I can find. I read that a while back about baking soda, so I planned to put some in the water..but today I realized that will not be the only I need. we've got a home depot and lowes near by, also ace hardware...I wonder if they would have what we need? Or maybe I should try and find a local run pool store?

cmecu2
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
If you are wanting to just get chlorine chemicals you can purchase those at Walmart and cheaper than anywhere else. You can buy a bag of shock for just a couple of dollars. And they have the kind made for vinyl and plastic pools. We can use Walmart chemicals unless the pool turns green and then you have to go with chemicals from the pool places. That's when it's like emerald green. It did that one year and we had to flock it too. But you can buy your chemicals at local pool stores too especially if you are wanting to do non chlorine ones. Once you do one or the other you can't do a differnet one. So if you haven't put chemicals in the water you can do non chrlorine. I think its Bacusil (not sure of spelling) that makes the non chlorine ones.

tempus vernum
04-25-2008, 09:40 PM
baquacil http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BAQCIL is what we use for our pool - bromine and chlorine free :rockon No stinky smell either.

In addition to preferring a toxic free lifestyle, we also have very sensitive skin in this family that can't tolerate regular chlorine exposure.

cmecu2
04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
baquacil http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BAQCIL is what we use for our pool - bromine and chlorine free :rockon No stinky smell either.

In addition to preferring a toxic free lifestyle, we also have very sensitive skin in this family that can't tolerate regular chlorine exposure.

That's it! Thank you Jodi!

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Thank you...I put our zip code in and we have a pool store not too far that carries it :)

tempus vernum
04-25-2008, 09:47 PM

:) :tu

Thank you...I put our zip code in and we have a pool store not too far that carries it :)

We now buy it online - I'll ask my dh the website -- it's WAY cheaper even with shipping :) :) We have a pool and a spa so we like to save as much as possible :) My friend MamaMansa told me that bacquacil was actually CHEAPER for them than chlorine :rockon

cmecu2
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I would love to convert our pool over but I bet that would take a lot to do.

FaithfilledGranolaChick
04-26-2008, 05:23 AM
[quote=SonshineMama ]

:) :tu

We now buy it online - I'll ask my dh the website -- it's WAY cheaper even with shipping :) :) We have a pool and a spa so we like to save as much as possible :) My friend MamaMansa told me that bacquacil was actually CHEAPER for them than chlorine :rockon
[quote]

Oh yes!! We have a spa too (that is getting fixed right now) and we will need treatment for it too :doh

Singingmom
04-26-2008, 06:31 AM
:popcorn

tempus vernum
04-26-2008, 06:43 AM
I would love to convert our pool over but I bet that would take a lot to do.

Well, is your pool currently being used? If not, it should be way easier! You can go to the pool store and they will tell you how. MamaMansa's husband did it and he said it wasn't that bad :)

cmecu2
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Nope not at the moment but we already started. Plus it already had chemicals in it from last year. We pulled the cover off and started the process of opening it. We have to scoop leaves out since the cover fell in the pool *sigh*. It was a pretty shade of green but not bad. Hubby dumped shock in it and turned the pump on. So it's cleaning it out, getting lighter. He still has some leaves to get out of the middle. We shoot for end of May to swim if it's warm enough.