PDA

View Full Version : How To Cut Fresh Thyme off Plant?

chelsea
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I just bought a little thyme plant (I absolutely ADORE thyme :yum ). I forgot to ask the lady how to cut it off (she said you can cut it and it will continue growing back). I want to keep this plant as long as possible and get as much thyme as I can from it. So I want to make sure I'm treating it right. How do you cut it? Do you have to rip the leaves off and new ones grow? Or do you cut a "branch" off and then new ones will grow? If you cut a branch, do you cut an individual one or use the entire stalk at once? If you cut one or more individual pieces, do you cut them right where they meet the stalk, or higher? Do you cut it "straight" or at an angle?
Am I thinking WAY too much about this? :hiding

clementine
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I have some...I just break off near the base, then strip off the tiny leaves from each "Stem (just run your pinched fingers over it, they come right off:)
grows back just fine, and fresh thyme is yummy:)

Hermana Linda
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't feel bad. I had the same questions about my watercress. :giggle

chelsea
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I have some...I just break off near the base, then strip off the tiny leaves from each "Stem (just run your pinched fingers over it, they come right off:)
grows back just fine, and fresh thyme is yummy:)

Thanks! So basically, you are taking an entire "branch" off? (When buying thyme from the store, I like to keep the leaves on the branches and tie the branch in a knot along with the leaves and throw it into the pot when cooking rice and beans.)

clementine
04-26-2008, 06:30 AM
:yes2 that's what I do:) I cut down close to the base of the plant....I don't know if that is the "best" wya, but it works for me:)