PDA

View Full Version : ground turkey - can anyone recommend a yummy recipe?

Radosny Matka
04-23-2008, 08:26 AM
One that isn't chili or burgers or shepards pie. I am sick of chili and burgers and shepards pie, and I need to cook this tonight. Thanks!

:popcorn

Ali
04-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I have a great turkey meatloaf. I will try to find the recipe! BRB

Iansmama
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
meatloaf
burritos/tacos
red beans and rice
spaghetti
meatball subs

:think

greendelight
04-23-2008, 08:33 AM
:popcorn

Teribear
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Polynesian Meatballs

Combine ground turkey with one egg and enough breadcrumbs to hold together nicely, minced onion and bell peppers are a nice addition if your family likes those, mine doesn't. Shape into meatballs, about the size of the opening when you make a circle with your thumb and first finger. Place in a glass pie plate and cook in the microwave (or an oven if you don't do microwaves) until done. Time varies by the size of the meatballs but in the microwave I did 4 minutes, flip them all over and 4 more and that usually worked for a pound of ground turkey.

In another glass dish combine the juice from a can of pineapple chunks (No sugar added please) with a tablespoon or so of vinegar (apple cider or rice or raspberry all work nicely) and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar and a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch (to thicken). Stir until the solids are dissolved. Microwave a minute at a time, stirring between, until it is bubbly and thick. Again if you don't like the microwave do this in a sauce pan instead of a glass dish and heat it on the stove until reduced and thickened into a nice sweet/sour sauce.

Stir fry whatever vegetables you have on hand. I like to use snow peas, carrots, scallions, baby corn and water chestnuts for this recipe but really whatever vegetables you have on hand works. In the last minute or so of cook time add the pineapple chunks you used the juice from to make the sauce.

To serve combine everything, meatballs, veggies and sauce and serve over rice or ramen.

I used to make this all the time with ground turkey. I'm sorry there aren't really specific measurements but its kind of something I played around with a lot and eyeballed. Its almost goof proof that way.

Ali
04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
1/2 cup ketchup
1-2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 c oatmeal
1 egg
½ c shredded zucchini

Combine 1/4 cup of the ketchup with everything else. Shape into a loaf, and place in a baking pan. Bake for 45 min at 350 degrees. Spread the other 1/4 cup ketchup on top. Bake for 15 more minutes.

oooh! I've got to try those meatballs - yummy!!!

RealLifeMama
04-23-2008, 08:56 AM
I bought two pounds of ground turkey yesterday and was trying to figure out what to do with it. Teri, I will make the meatballs tonight! I have all that stuff!
I really like ground turkey. There are a few good sausage recipes posted under breakfast.

Here are a couple of my favorites- both deal with pasta, and both are adapted from the orginal Once A Month Cooking.

The first one is my children's favorite spaghetti. It calls for chunks of chicken breasts, but I use ground turkey. Also, I don't measure my chopped stuff, I just sort of cut up what I have or feel like. It makes a lot, so I usually can make one pan for my family of 5 and then have a pan to give away to a small family.

Turkey Spaghetti

1.5 lbs turkey or chicken
1 pkg spaghetti
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup green pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup mushrooms [I never use these. ]
1 3-oz jar sliced black olives
1 2-oz jar pimentos
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 packet spaghetti sauce seasoning
2 cups cheddar cheese

Cook spaghetti
brown the ground turkey. Add veggies and saute until tender. Drain.
Add olives, pimentos, tomatoes and seasoning. Add well drained spaghetti. Mix well.
Place in casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.

Poppy Turkey
1 1/2 lb. ground raw turkey
1/3 - 1/2 c. chopped onion
1/3 - 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (8 oz.) pkg. egg noodles or linguine
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 c. cottage cheese
1/2 c. plain yogurt or sour cream
1 tbsp. poppy seed

Cook noodles
Brown turkey and veggie until tender. Drain. Add sauce and salt/pepper.
Mix cheeses/sour cream. Add well drained noodles and poppy seeds [or you can mix the poppy seeds with the turkey- doesn't really matter. Can also add parmesan cheese if you want.
Layer noodles and turkey mixture in casserole dish.
Bake for 30 minutes covered, then about 15 minutes uncovered.

The Tickle Momster
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I know you said no burgers, but we do greek burgers w/ ground turkey. Season w/chopped green olives, cinnamon and something else. Grill. Serve on pita with sour cream, diced cucumber and feta cheese. My kids love this!

NoodleMom
04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Turkey Meatballs

3lb gr. turkey
2pkgs Lipton onion soup mix
1/2C Parm. Cheese
Ritz crackers crumbled to bulk up meat.
Mix together and roll into ball. Coat with seasoned crushed croutons
Bake@ 400degrees for 25-30 minutes.

jenny_islander
04-24-2008, 01:23 AM
1 pound ground turkey
Cooking oil
1 package frozen Santa Fe Style Vegetables OR 1 pound total cut corn, cooked black beans, chopped red bell pepper, chopped onion, and chopped broccoli florets (vary the proportions depending on what is on hand)
Chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and/or salsa to taste
Grated cheese
Warmed flour tortillas OR plain tortilla chips OR plain Fritos Scoops

Saute turkey in nonstick pan, drain, and set aside. Heat oil in same pan and stir-fry vegetables over high heat. Turn off heat, return turkey to pan, and stir until turkey is hot. Season to taste. Spoon into tortillas, top with grated cheese if desired, roll, and eat. Or pile vegetables and meat over tortilla chips, slather with grated cheese, top with salsa, and garnish with plain yogurt and chopped avocado for turkey nachos. Or put hot turkey-vegetable-cheese mixture in a bowl, thin with mild salsa to chunky dip consistency, and pass the Fritos Scoops.

TuneMyHeart
04-24-2008, 05:30 AM
It's too late for last night's dinner, but this quiche (http://tammysrecipes.com/quiche_whole_wheat_pie_crust) is really good. :yum

Quiche with Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Description:
A whole wheat pie crust filled with a combination of ground turkey, spinach, eggs, and seasonings, topped with cheese and baked

Yield:
8 servings

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Pie Shell Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 egg
1 tablespoon cold water

Quiche Filling Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
1 pound ground turkey (85% lean or leaner)*
9 ounces fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped**
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
4 to 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Instructions:
1. To make crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter. In a separate small bowl, lightly beat egg, vinegar, and water. Add to dry mixture and knead with hands for a few minutes, until smooth.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle and place in a 10-inch pie plate. Trim and flute edges. Prick with a fork on bottom and sides. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.

3. To make filling, brown turkey with the chopped onion. Drain grease, return to skillet, and add the chopped spinach. Over medium-low heat, cook and stir until spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat.

4. In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add milk and mix. Add turkey and spinach mixture, stirring to combine. Pour into pre-baked pie shell. Top with shredded cheese.

5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.