PDA

View Full Version : Green paint in bedroom??

Dove*
04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I am stuck with a really dark, almost forest looking green paint for my bedroom. We haven't painted yet, but will this weekend. jThe color itself is really pretty, but it is so dark. Does anyone else have a dark bedroom? How do you like it? DH thinks dark is sexy. I kind of just think its just dark, you know? So, tips, ideas, input? I am planning on putting white curtains to lighten things up, but with a very limited income, I need some more ideas. BTW, our comforter is deep red (sounds Christmassy, but I don't want it to look it) We were thinking of accenting with some buttery yellows to help. So, any ideas from you decorating mamas out there?

HummusDip
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I'd personally decorate with lots of oatmeals, creams, and some tan. It would look awesome IMO.

I would shy away from red or yellow. :shrug

3xblessed
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
My oldest child wanted navy blue walls at one time. I thought he was crazy but we painted it navy anyway. All trim and doors were white, It was beautiful! :heart I would think the forest green would be the same way. I think it would be beautiful accented with buttery yellows.

Mother of Sons
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
My parents have a room that has a deep green on the bottom with a chair rail and then a kind of pale goldish yellow on the top and it looks really pretty and "rich"

Dove*
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Ohhh, I like the green with the oatmeal colors, but unfortunately, I am stuck with a red duvet cover. Theres no way I can buy a new one, (they are so stinkin' expensive!) so I need to work with what I have.

mommyTay
04-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Our bedroom is forest green walls, up to the chair rail level, then a border and the top of the walls are white. The curtains and carpet are also forest green. At the time we painted the room dh was working 3rd shift, it kept it dark enough for him to sleep during the day.

I LOVE our room, green is my favorite color and our border is scenic and peaceful. In contrast to my kids who wont sleep without a nightlight, I sleep best in a dark room.

MarynMunchkins
04-22-2008, 03:39 PM
You could do oatmeal-y curtains and throw pillows on the bed with red. :) It would look nice together.

HummusDip
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Ohhh, I like the green with the oatmeal colors, but unfortunately, I am stuck with a red duvet cover. Theres no way I can buy a new one, (they are so stinkin' expensive!) so I need to work with what I have.

I think oatmeal would look fantastic with even a red bedcover! There's some ratio that they say to go by, and it's like 50-35-25 kind of thing. So the bedcover is pretty big, so that could be your 25 and the walls would be your 50 so make oatmeal your 35. If that makes sense! lol

Dove*
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh, yea. I think I could do that. Hmmmm. Now I'll just have too see what is out there in "oatmeal".

HummusDip
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Curtains, pillows, candles, rugs, throws, etc. :)

Take some pics too when you're done!!

Happy Mom
04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm actually getting ready to paint mine dark green, and go w/a cabin theme. :) I'd love to see pics of yours!!!

Minerva
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
We have a dark room (its red :O ) and I love it! DH and I both think its sexy!

Dove*
04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
As soon as I'm done, I'll post some pics, but I can't guarantee how long it will take! DH and I are both working, so weekends are really the only time I have to work on it.

NoodleMom
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Dove, if you are looking for a quilt set I have one in the swap and shop.forum. I think it would go nicely. I dont know how to link it or I would.

K :smile

RiverRock
04-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I have oatmeal coloured walls through most of my house (I usually call it Biscotti :giggle) and have a dark moss green as an accent colour in most rooms. I have some burgundy (kinda' reddish) also. I think it goes quite nicely, but I have been careful not to overdo it and have a Christmas-y house.

Dove*
04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Noodlemom, Thanks for the info on your quilt. I'll see if I can find it, though my DH already said we can buy anything new for the bed. :(

Guess what everyone. I am so excited! I finally decided to clean out the linen closet (which stores our linens, games, foods, vacuum, etc. lol- really more than a linen closet). Anyways, I found some long forgotten place mats and cloth napkins. I got them as a gift 5 year ago, but we never use them. We just aren't the fancy type of people. Anyways, they are a beautiful OATMEAL color, with white and sort of bronzey flowers and leaves embroidered on them. They look absolutely beautiful against the partially green wall we started painting and they pull out the bronzey colored picture frame above our bed. So here is my idea. I saw on some do-it-yourself decorating on a dime type show that you can use place mats as a valance and napkins as pillow covers. So I think this is what I will do- I'm planning on sewing pretty white ribbon on two places on the top of each place mat so that they can hang above the window, then I will loop some white gauzy sheers (really cheap at IKEA) around them and flow them down the sides. Then I will do the ribbons around the edges of two napkins, tie them together and find a cheap couple of pillows and have the napkins be new covers for the pillows to toss on the bed! Does that make sense?

And, wha-la! I found a valance and pillows for almost free! And my DH approves! :phew Sometimes he doesn't appreciate my budget minded mind, you know, using one thing for something other than its intended purpose. But he okayed this! So what do you all think? Does it sound absolutely crazy? I know it is hard to imagine with out pictures, but you get the basic idea?

MarynMunchkins
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I think it sounds great! :tu