PDA

View Full Version : Freezing cake?

Rea T
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
So, I've totally overstuffed my schedule this week and somehow I need to get 2 dozen cupcakes ready to take to school on Friday morning and a birthday cake by Friday night. Trying to work this all in around work, dr appt, errands, MAJOR rummage sale that MIL and I are going to Thursday. If I bake the cupcakes today and put them in the freezer, then pull them out Thursday and frost them Thursday night, they'll be ok, right? They'll still taste fresh and not get soggy or anything, will they?

HelenJ
04-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm sure they'll be fine; I ate 1yr old wedding cake and it tasted great :smile

AmyDoll
04-22-2008, 06:05 PM
My mom freezes cake all the time! No worries. :)

Marielle
04-22-2008, 06:08 PM
should be just fine and they might even taste better. I've found that most cake benefits from some "sitting" time as it brings out the sugar/butter taste better.

Rea T
04-23-2008, 04:53 AM
Oh good! I baked the cupcakes last night, maybe I'll do the birthday cake today.

RealLifeMama
04-23-2008, 06:47 AM
I always try to bake cake early so I can freeze it. It seems to make it really moist.

celestial princess
04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I always try to bake cake early so I can freeze it. It seems to make it really moist.

:yes my wedding cake topper was so moist a year later we couldn't believe it! It was delicious!

Also, think Sarah Lee! ;)

Rea T
04-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Now I'm convinced enough to go ahead and bake the birthday cake today and freeze that too.

Mmm. Sara Lee.

CakeLady
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
The best way to freeze a cake is to take it out of the oven, turn it out of the pan immediately and wrap with Saran Wrap. As the cake cools the wrap with shrink a tad making it like a skin on the cake. Then wrap in tin foil and freeze (preferably in the back of the freezer). It will last for a month or two. To defrost the cake, take it out of the freezer the day before you need it, take off the foil (NOT the Saran) and let come to room temp on it's own. Take off the Saran wrap and let the rest of the moisture dry off the cake before frosting.

I make lots and lots of cakes...this method really does work. I've made several wedding cakes using this method and no one ever knows the cakes were frozen for several weeks.

Rea T
04-23-2008, 01:46 PM
OK, totally making a note of that for the next birthday; I'm tired of trying to do everything at the last minute!