PDA

View Full Version : Getting cat urine out of laundry

CapeTownMommy
04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe this would go better in pets, but it's a homekeeping issue so I thought I'd put it here. My cats "marked" the moses basket we used for dd when she was smaller. We didn't realise it, as it had been in the garage since we last used it, high up on a shelf but they found it and decided it was theirs. Anyway, now my best friend wants to use it for a vacation trip with her 8 week old baby, and I'm trying to get the stink out before lending it to her. I've washed it with normal detergent on a cold wash (apparently a hot wash makes things worse), but with little effect. At this moment, it's in the washer for a second time with bicarb of soda, vinegar and (based on a tip I found) Listerine. But I have no guarantee that this will be any better than the plain detergent. Any home-made remedies that will help for this?

By the way, I'm not in America, I'm in South Africa so it doesn't really help to recommend brands that will get this out. I will head to the pet store later today to see if they have anything that will get this out, but I'm not hopeful that OUT! and similar brands will be available here. So I'm hoping someone will know a home-made remedy that will help me.

me
04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
I was gonna say vinegar and baking soda.
Or perhaps Simple Green.
I accidently found out that california baby conditioner has something in it that completely takes out cat odors. I think it might be tea tree but I really cant say. :shrug Not much help sorry.

CapeTownMommy
04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
I do have tea tree oil, so will try that next if this wash doesn't do the trick. Thanks!

brandi
04-22-2008, 07:08 AM
I would second the vineger and baking soda