PDA

View Full Version : No one is listening to me!

GodisGood
04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
My ds's: 7, 4 (5 in June), and just turned 3. This is primarily regarding my older 2 ds's

When I need to get their attention or call their name for something, I have to call them 3 - 5 times and I am yelling by time 5. Generally, I am up to my shoulders in something I can't drop in order to touch them to get their attention. This needs to stop. I also have to give instructions 3 - 5 times and I am just about ready to pop before they take action. I have told them that I don't like yelling or getting angry with them. I've told them that in order for that to stop they need to do what I ask them WHEN I ask them. It's a two way street. However, nothing is getting through to them. I feel like I'm talking to the wall 90% of the time. Basically, I feel like the older two are acting like my 3 year old.

milkmommy
04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
You may have to make it happen (even if it means stopping what you aredoing)) before the anger point I'd suggest a version of the 5 steps appropiate to there age. They may have been conditioned that we can ingnore mom till we really make her upset... :hugheart

Deanna

GodisGood
04-21-2008, 09:31 AM
It's not always practical though. That's another frustration. I get frustrated as much if I'm constantly dropping what I'm doing every minute to get them to listen.

milkmommy
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
It's not always practical though. That's another frustration. I get frustrated as much if I'm constantly dropping what I'm doing every minute to get them to listen.

I understand here I HATE HATE the stairs because it ussually means no one responds till I get mad enough to go tslling to the top and actually going up (some becasue they truly can't hear) however overall I've noticed that sometimes I need a period of making it happen to where its understood mommy means what shes says and I start to get results with my words the first time...

Deanna

GodisGood
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd rather have consequences at #2 than wait until step 5. With two other children to deal with while getting the attention of one, I just don't have time to work 5 steps. We need to understand that when Mom repeats herself she means business and they need to act or acknowledge. How can I go about this?

milkmommy
04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Then say it once (or twice for clarity) and act if not followed :shrug as DD gets older the five steps looks diffrent often steps are combined and my "help" can come with its own conquences (if mommy has to come help you pick up your legos the legos are going away for the day.. :shrug Enough of this and its amazing how there hearing can improve.. (I'm not mean I just have a few higher standards as shes growing up)

Deanna