PDA

View Full Version : Quick before tomorrow! I need a good frosting recipe!!!!

hey mommy
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I was thinking buttercream, but it's so sweet that I know many people don't like it..

Any ideas for a simple(no cooking) good white frosting.. I'll need to tint it green and... not sure what other color I'll use.. What do you think would go good w/a green lego?

Marielle
04-18-2008, 07:40 PM
frosting by its very nature is sweet. :lol Now a sweetened whipped cream would be slightly less sweet but much less stable.

I'd go easy on the cake's sweetness and you can get away with a more rich frosting.

hey mommy
04-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Well the cake is from a mix.. Boxed cake was much easier, but I'd prefer not to do a canned frosting this time.. I'll just use the buttercream frosting recipe I have anyway...

righteous mama
04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Buttercream can be very delicious. You can back off on the sugar as you taste it and stop right when you achieve the perfect sweet. I like buttercream when done right and I'm not a frosting girl.

jrsmama
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
You could also make a simple, delicious icing. That includes powdered sugar, milk or whatever liquid to give a flavor you like (orange juice, lemonade, etc) and a tiny drip of vanilla. You could also tint it with food coloring. You could add a little softened cream cheese to make it a little more rich if you like.

jenny_islander
04-19-2008, 02:42 AM
If the entire cake is going to be devoured immediately, consider simply coating it with sweetened whipped cream, tinted green or covered in green sugar sprinkles.

RealLifeMama
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I am sorry I missed this.
I was making a cake this weekend, too, and I am always on the search for the perfect frosting. I experiment with every cake I make. One day, I will find the perfect buttercream!!

I have found that adding salt to my buttercream helps a lot. I also add way more flavoring than what the recipe calls for. Like this weekend, I made a batch with a two pound bag of sugar and 2 cups of fat, and I added a tsp of popcorn salt to the liquid, and I added a tbs of vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp of butter flavor. I thought it was good, but when DH tasted it, he said it needed more salt. He always says that, though. Seriously, I can't think of a time I have given him a taste where he has not said "it needs a little more salt."

If it would not have clashed with the cake flavor, I might have also added some almond extract. I like to sometimes use whipping cream as my liquid and then use equal parts butter, almond, and vanilla flavors. Like 2 tsps of each with a double batch recipe.

hey mommy
04-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks anyway. I ran out of time and ended up using the icky canned stuff.. Oh well. No one else minded too much. LOL

jrsmama
04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I must say that most folks really enjoy the boxed cake and canned frosting...I always keep some on hand. I find they're usually more flavorful than storebought cakes...especially the fancy decorated ones. We like them a lot!