PDA

View Full Version : bathroom towels -- one colour or two?

2sunshines
04-17-2008, 08:02 AM
ok, I'm FINALLY buying new bathroom towels because ours are falling apart. :O

So I'm thinking I want 8 for a family of 5.

Our bathroom colours are sage and amethyst.

I've already picked up 4 when they were on sale -- sage.

They're on sale again so I'm gonna pick up four more.

Do I get all of them in sage? Or do I get the other four in amethyst?

Do you prefer all yoru bath towels to be the same and do colour accents with other things? Or do you do two (or more) colours with your bath towels?

Marielle
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I started off our marriage with a ton of colors. Both the ones we registered for and the ones hubby had as a bachelor in good condition (cause I helped him shop for those). Then I got tired of separating colors and worrying about matching so I took a cue from good 'ol Martha.

Only white towels and the colored ones have been getting phased out since about 4 years ago. I do accents with rugs (I have kind of medium gray ones) and the shower curtain plus the fixtures (wall rack off the toilet, etc.) but I've very big on just easy to clean/wipe/wash simple stuff that still looks good.

illinoismommy
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM
one vote for one color of towel :giggle

Drew
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM
I think either way is fine. We have both blue and white towels in the hall bath, brown towels in the master bath, and white towels in the 1/2 bath down stairs.

RiverRock
04-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I have tend to have one colour per bathroom: (Loden-a dark moss green) for our ensuite, and eggplant in our main bathroom. I can wash both colours together which makes laundry easier. Upstairs the kids have mismatched blues and other "spring" colours to go with their Van Gogh inspired bathroom. I will often add bedding to make full loads with their towels.

LadybugSam
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
i have two colors of towels. Well 3, but the 3rd one is a striped towel with both the other colors in it.

That being said. I use the striped ones as the hand towels, and the blue ones to set out on the rack when the striped ones are all dirty. I rarly ever use my second solid color. if i had to do it again, i would just get the one color, with the striped hand towels to accent.

Marrae
04-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I have two different colours for each bathroom just to ring the changes. It also makes it easier to recall if you have changed the towels or not. :shifty

Downstairs cloakroom - lilac and navy
Upstairs bathroom - beige and brown
Our ensuite - white (bad idea on a farm :/) and medium blue

Dd only has black towels in her bathroom. Good idea longterm for a teen but bad initially because of the fluff. :hunh

crunchymum
04-17-2008, 09:21 AM
we have 3 colors, like sam - they all coordinate, they are bluish-green, brown, and then a few striped ones that have those two colors plus white in them. i used to have all white, but eventually they got SO GRAY - even with bleaching. they are our 'shop towels' now. our downstairs bathroom handtowels are different, but the brown towels work down there, too, with our crazy butterfly shower curtain. :)

Blue-EyedLady
04-20-2008, 05:40 PM
We do 2 colors - that way I know which is my towel, and which is DH's. I'm not real fussy about decorating, though,

mom2threegirls
04-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm phasing to all white towels too :yes. Still have some colored ones in the girls' ones but I've only been buying white for a few years- they are easier to keep clean and don't fade and I don't have to sort them into which go in which bathroom so it makes things way easier. Also, if your "color" ever gets discontinued you don't have any issues (I had that happen ;))- white is always easy to find! I do buy cute coordinating handtowels though :shifty. I have all my bathrooms decorated differently but nice white towels work in any bathroom! :tu

My mom told me that I'd be switching to all white eventually when I got married and started buying all kinds of coordinating towels in different colors and she was right :giggle.

crunchymum
04-20-2008, 07:47 PM
how do you keep them white, though? our white towels ended up looking so nasty!

illinoismommy
04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Here is why I prefer one color of towel... I don't have to do the "coordinating" you know where you try to put the one color with the other color and have it be balanced .... grab a towel, check. They all match. One less thing to worry about when people come over ... :shifty

Marielle
04-20-2008, 09:13 PM
jen I wash them on hot with oxyclean. I've had towels go threadbare and still be sparkling white.

ThreeKids
04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
We registered for every variation of sage at Target that year, which was a lot that year. We ended up with a big variety of textures and a little variety of color. The variety also gives you a chance to know which towel was yours, but our family isn't old enough to care much about that yet. The thing I'm liking about the variety right now is that the occasional accidental bleaching doesn't change the stash much - it's just another variation.

BearyBlessed
04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
We do 2 colors - that way I know which is my towel, and which is DH's. I'm not real fussy about decorating, though,

:yes

Firebird Rising
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
We have like, um, 6 colors of towels, I think. They all match as my mom painted a mural in the bathroom and then bought towels to match. It's colorful in there (think spanish colors). We each have our own towel rack (four adults) so we don't have an issue of who's who. I have several favorite towel/washcloth color combos that I try to get as soon as the towels are washed, but DH and my parents could care less. There's only one gold washcloth and I like that one because it's a pretty color so I always grab it.

There's no way I could do white. Even after a bath, I still think they'd be dirty. No way.

Jen D.

Minerva
04-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I like 2 colors to match. :yes