PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar-What do YOU use it for?

CakeLady
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I've started using vinegar around the house and so I'm curious what everyone else uses vinegar for. I'm not talking about cooking....I'm talking about cleaning.

cindergretta
04-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I use it in the rinse cycle occasionally to strip build-up from my towels. I use it with salt to clean the kitchen sink.... :think I don't actually use it very much. :/

LadybugSam
04-16-2008, 06:02 PM
i use it as a rinse aid in my dishwasher.

I use it to clean my drains (1/2 c. salt, 1/2 c. baking soda. 1/2 c. vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes, then pour boiling water down the drain after it, it works wonders)

cindergretta
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
i use it as a rinse aid in my dishwasher.

I use it to clean my drains (1/2 c. salt, 1/2 c. baking soda. 1/2 c. vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes, then pour boiling water down the drain after it, it works wonders)

Oooh, good ideas!! :tu

DoulaClara
04-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I dump a cup or so into the toilet while I do everything else. By the time the bathroom has been cleaned (and I toss the towels and Sh-mop cover into the washing machine) and forget what I'm doing thirteen times and start to clean the kitchen and make a cup of tea and then play with the now-awake baby, and then go back into the bathroom so she can brush her teeth (her new favorite pastime), I remember the vinegar (ok, so after an hour), and give the toilet a swish with the brush and a flush. Helps keep things sparkly and clean!

Ali
04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I use it to de-scale the coffee pot, tea kettle, dishwasher, shower heads, etc. I use it in the laundry as a softener and I clean windows with a mix of hot water and vinegar and a dash of dish soap - scrub on with a rag and wipe dry with newspaper. :tu

AmyDoll
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I use it diluted in a spray bottle like "febreze" once the vinegar is dry - there's no more icky smell and no more vinegar smell :tu

klpmommy
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I use it along with baking soda to clean toilets (we call them toilet volcanos), I use it with baking soda to get "chunky" messes out of the carpet. I use it in my household cleaning "mixes". I use it diluted with water to clean glass (and wipe with newspaper). :think

IslandHome
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
It's a great microwave cleaner! Just put a cup in the microwave for a minute or so, and then everything can just be sponged off.

I also add some to the rinse cycle for diapers occasionally, to prevent buildup.

ladybug
04-16-2008, 07:15 PM
I've only ever used it to clean my kitchen sink with the baking soda, and once to clean my coffeepot, which, now that I think of it, could really use another cleaning with vinegar!!!
thx for starting this thread!
I'm getting great ideas!!!!!

HuggaBuggaMommy
04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
I use it for my kitchen *spray* cleaner (1/2 cup vinegar, a dropper full of TTO, and a tablespoon of Dr. Bronner's, plus water to fill the bottle); to clean mirrors and an after shower mist (1/2 vinegar and water); to clean the ceramic tile floor; and also with baking soda in the toilet, or as a rinse in the washer (as previously mentioned).

blossomnatalia
04-16-2008, 08:14 PM
I use it for EVERYTHING!

-I spray it anywhere (add essential oils to it if I want to) I pretty much only have vinegar and baking soda as cleaning agents.
-Combine it with baking soda for toilet, tub, sinks and range oven.

-laundry too (for diapers rinse)

-I do add a drop of dish soap (Sal Suds by Dr Bronner's) to vinegar and water to mop the floor.

I also use it as a rinse for my hair after I do my henna. :shifty (makes it SHINE!!!... and protects the color)
my dh sprays it on himself for poison ivy... :lol it dries it right out!

that is all I can think of right now.

ladybug
04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I also use it as a rinse for my hair after I do my henna.

can you explain this to me more???
henna in your hair??

CakeLady
04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
WOW! These are awesome ideas. Some I do, but there are some that I never thought of.

Drew
04-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks so much for posting this thread. I don't have anything new to add but I've picked up lots of great ideas. :rockon

blossomnatalia
04-17-2008, 07:14 AM
I also use it as a rinse for my hair after I do my henna.

can you explain this to me more???
henna in your hair??

:ot

there is probably tons of great links but I just chose one:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

I have been putting henna in my hair for 12 years or so and that is the only coloring agent I will allow on my hair... :heart

Raspberries
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
I literally use it for everything. It's our main cleaner. We clean the kitchen, the bathroom, the floors, little spills, cloth diapers....everything! Sometimes we'll combine it with other things for different tasks. For example in the bathroom we'll use it with peroxide to give it the "bleach quality". In the kitchen we'll use peroxide or baking soda with it. On the floors we'll use it with Dr. Bronners.