PDA

View Full Version : Floors-cleaning

TrinMama
04-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I HATE cleaning floors. I don't know why. But I LOVE to have clean floors. What do you use in your bathrooms? I can never find something I like or am willing to use.

me
04-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Dr Bronners peppermint soap! Its like aromatherapy and cleaning in one. And when your done you smell oh so clean and minty :giggle

hink4687
04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I also use to hate cleaning floors and I've started using dr bronner's soap too and now I love it! I also use the method mop which has the washable attachment and just wet the top and squirt a small squirt of the dr bronners on the floor and wipe it up. and it smells so good!

TrinMama
04-14-2008, 05:10 AM
awesome! so where do I find Dr Bronners?

hink4687
04-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I've actually bought it at wal-greens before.

me
04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I've actually bought it at wal-greens before.
Really! thats so convenient. We dont have any here so I have to get it at health stores or places where they have natural cleaning products. Bronners has a website as well :)

mom2threegirls
04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I use vinegar to clean my floors :yes. Mix a little with some hot water and that's it. It's great because I can use it on ALL my hard floors, including my hardwoods :tu. Vinegar is awesome- it's a great disinfectant and I use it as a multipurpose cleaner for most things. A few drops of lavender oil mixed in make it smell great (although the vinegar smell does go away after a few minutes if you don't mix eo's in it ;)).

crunchymum
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
we use the swiffer wet jet. :shifty :blush it's totally the most wasteful thing we use, but dude, our floors actually get cleaned now. :blush

TuneMyHeart
04-14-2008, 11:02 AM
I use vinegar or Dr. Bronner's sal suds. I :heart sal suds. :rockon

me
04-14-2008, 11:04 AM
we use the swiffer wet jet. :shifty :blush it's totally the most wasteful thing we use, but dude, our floors actually get cleaned now. :blush
dont blush! :hug2 I used mine and then started putting a microfiber on the bottom instead of purchasing the refills. Then I would add whatever into the bottle. Water, vinegar, bronners, whatever I had handy to clean with :) It sure is a lifesaver for those quick clean ups. :yes

I use vinegar or Dr. Bronner's sal suds. I :heart sal suds. :rockon
I so wanted to love the sal suds but just didnt like the smell :shifty

crunchymum
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
dont blush! :hug2 I used mine and then started putting a microfiber on the bottom instead of purchasing the refills. Then I would add whatever into the bottle. Water, vinegar, bronners, whatever I had handy to clean with :) It sure is a lifesaver for those quick clean ups. :yes

ok, how on earth do you refill the bottle? i can't for the life of me get the cap off to fill it... i would prefer that, for sure!

me
04-14-2008, 11:48 AM

ok, how on earth do you refill the bottle? i can't for the life of me get the cap off to fill it... i would prefer that, for sure!
maybe mine wasnt a swiffer? maybe a clorox one :think the bottle would just pull out from the top along with the tube that squirted to the floor. Then I would unscre the cap. I bet I didnt have the one you did :shrug But you could still just reuse a microfiber from walmart or a car place where they are super cheap and just maybe use a spray bottle instead of the refill bottle. Just leave it empty if it doesnt come off. But then Im pretty sure all the wet mops had refills for the liquid :scratch that would mean it had to come off :shrug

naturallia
04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
:cup

crunchymum
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
yeah, you probably had a different one - this one has no tube, it clicks into place and the cap DOES NOT come off... i tried! they really want you to buy their refills! :/ good idea to use the microfiber, though. :tu

apmommy
04-15-2008, 01:11 AM
:heart

brandi
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
I use dr bronners and a mop. on days when my floors are particularly icky, i scrub them with a wash cloth. I love the way sal suds smell, it really smells clean. vineger and lemon juice works well also.

TrinMama
04-15-2008, 09:34 AM

LOL

I"ve used vinegar before...I guess I feel like I should use something more. Going to look for dr bronners today.

Minerva
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Dr Bronner's users - are you using just the Peppermint soap? There isn't a special floor cleanser?

So happy to see they are fair trade! :rockon

me
04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Dr Bronner's users - are you using just the Peppermint soap? There isn't a special floor cleanser?

So happy to see they are fair trade! :rockon
:yes I do

Mert
04-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Do you just wet the microfiber towel and squirt a little Dr Bronners on the floor? Is that what I read? Can it really be THAT easy? Dh will be sooooo thrilled if that's true. I just got a swiffer and the mf towels. I'm half way there!

TraceMama
04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I've actually been using the Method Mop with the spot carpet cleaning recipe posted here. I love it! Roughly, it's water, hydrogen peroxide, some EOs and 1/2 tsp. of detergent. Gets it really clean and smells good too. :yes

TrinMama
04-20-2008, 08:07 PM
After I saw the price on Dr B...I'm sticking with vinegar for now! Too many cleaning products in my house already.

ArmsOfLove
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I got my Big Green Complete and now I steam mop my floors--I try to do it once a week. it vacuums while it mops so it's really easy to do :rockon

canadiyank
04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Do you guys wipe up the Dr. Bronner's? Seems like it would be slippery afterward if it wasn't rinsed.

I used a Swiffer Wet Mop, has the little pads on it.

Crunchymum, I read once about modifying a WetJet to make your own stuff but didn't play close enough attention b/c I don't have one. Maybe you can google it?

Ok...just looked it up on www.debtproofliving.com (I get their newsletter) and there's a couple different ways. One she drilled a hole in the bottom (which then faces up when you put if back in) and used a funnel to fill it with her own solution, covered the hole with duct tape. Another reader mentioned there's a "child proof" white collar thing and you can carefully cut through that and then it unscrews and screws back on. HTH!

StewardofLOs
04-21-2008, 07:43 AM
For those who do/have used vinegar--do you just use white vinegar? About how much?

rosesnsnails
04-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Has anyone tried that Shark steam mop or something like that? I hate cleaning floors, too, and would love to find a better way.

rosesnsnails
04-21-2008, 08:01 AM
The Big Green Complete looks a lot like a Rainbow Vaccuum cleaner. I wonder how they compare. :think

canadiyank
04-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Do Rainbows steam clean, though? The one I used for a year didn't, if just caught everything in a nasty "soup" I emptied in my cousins' pasture.

rosesnsnails
04-21-2008, 09:14 AM
The one I used didn't. I'll have to look at the new models.

canadiyank
04-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I think Crystal's steam cleans (at least that's what she said in her post)...so were you comparing them b/c they were both water-based? (Was just curious!)

rosesnsnails
04-21-2008, 09:37 AM
When I looked at the Big Green, it looked a lot like Rainbows. Since I have experience with them and their quality, I was trying to see if they could do the same things. As far as I can tell, the Rainbows do not have steam abilities.

The only review I could find on the Big Green said it was a great steamer, but the vacuum was practically useless. It said it only worked on area rugs and only cleaned the surface of regular carpet.

I would really like to get some kind of steamer to clean my tile and lenolium floors. I'm tired of getting on my hands and knees to clean the floors because mopping never really gets it clean.

canadiyank
04-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Gotcha. Yah, I have no idea about steam cleaners. :think I didn't like the Rainbow much, but I know several loyal users.

me
04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I had a red steam cleaner for the floor and one for the bathrooms. I think it was dirt devil :scratch I really liked using it. Just cleaning with hot water was great. But I used it to clean some really gross stuff from a new rent house at the time and ....threw out the cleaning heads :shifty....never got the replacements, then sold them in a garage sale.
With the bronners. I use to clean everything in the house with it so I only had 1 cleaning product, bronners. I would buy the huge bottle and dilute it. It lasted a really long time :shrug Floors werent slick at all, I dried my floors with a fresh microfiber though.
Now that we are in a furnished apt with a once a week housekeeper I dont buy any cleaning supplies. I only have bronners and white vinegar(they delivered white instead of acv). I use the bronners to refill our foaming hand pumps and the vinegar for everything I want to clean until the housekeeper comes for the super cleaning day. When we get a place I will probably buy another steam cleaner and stick with my mint bronners(sometimes I just enjoy the minty smell) and vinegar.
I dont have very big spaces to clean right now so I just put my vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on straight. Im sure there is a ratio to distilled water that I could use. Or an eo I could add to the mix but im to lazy to look it up or order an eo. Perhaps I would if someone would be so kind as to give a recipe for it :sillygrin

Mama Bird
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Has anyone tried that Shark steam mop or something like that? I hate cleaning floors, too, and would love to find a better way.

DH just brought one home as a pick-me-up today. :heart It worked VERY well on my sticky, muddy, white tiled kitchen floor.

I can't wait to try it on our hardwoods and the white linoleum in the bathroom. I'm very excited about this, because we have a babe who will be crawling soon, and I was sick of trying to find nontoxic cleaners. DH is really bothered by the smell of vinegar, and I strongly dislike the smell of Dr. Bronners. :crazy2

me
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM

DH just brought one home as a pick-me-up today. :heart It worked VERY well on my sticky, muddy, white tiled kitchen floor.

I can't wait to try it on our hardwoods and the white linoleum in the bathroom. I'm very excited about this, because we have a babe who will be crawling soon, and I was sick of trying to find nontoxic cleaners. DH is really bothered by the smell of vinegar, and I strongly dislike the smell of Dr. Bronners. :crazy2
Keep us posted! :rockon

crunchymum
04-21-2008, 08:33 PM

shaklee's basic H - i use it for everything and it doesn't smell bad at all. in fact, it barely smells like anything. :tu and a container of it lasts for.ev.er. :)

Mama Bird
04-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Oh. Wow! It did a fantastic job! I tried it on the ceramic tiles that are textured in my kitchen. Great job...even in the grout! Under the cabinets are clean, too! No bending over, no scrubbing. If there is a stubborn spot, I park the mop over it and do a few pumps of steam on it. Comes right up. My hardwoods have never looked better, and they stay far drier than a traditional mop and bucket. The linoleum (again...white and very textured) in the bathroom looks new. It steamed around the tub and toilet very well, and fit in the tight spots around the toilet.

I'm very pleased with it. The only smell is that of a vaporizer. (Smells like childhood to me.) I love knowing that there is nothing harmful on my floors so that Smiley and Moose are safe on it. I love not having to mix different solutions for the different floors. I loved not having a bucket to dump. I love that the Shark comes with two pads, so I can wash one and still have one available.

And I love the sweet, thoughtful husband who surprised me with it. :heart

StewardofLOs
04-22-2008, 06:07 AM
:woohoo
That's sounds great! I've never heard of a steam mop before. :O Where did he find yours?

Mama Bird
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Linens N Things. They also have them at Target, and several other places as well. :yes

illinoismommy
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
I sweep and then use a boring old mop with diluted pine sol and water...

rosesnsnails
04-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Let us know how the Shark holds up! I'm glad it is working so well for you so far! :)