PDA

View Full Version : Househunting- How much square footage do we need?

momofmany
04-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Due to a rent increase and needing to move closer to my ailing FIL we started househunting last month. So far it's been pretty discouraging- we are about $30,000 short of being able to afford something that isn't a fixer upper and has a large square footage (we've been trying to find something over 2000 sq. ft.) :/ Right now the townhouse we rent is about 1200 sq. ft. and fits all six of us comfortably but it also two story (all the two story houses we looked at were in the 2000 sq. ft. range) So I'm wondering if we would be able to fit into a 1600-1800 sq. ft. single story house comfortably? I don't want a fixer upper because once we move we won't have the time or money to fix anything up.
Also, if FIL passes away MIL will probably move in with us so that will mean seven of us in a 1600-1800 sq. ft. house.

Do you think that's workable? I need some advice :popcorn

celestial princess
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know - there are four-five of us in 1200 sf and it's feeling pretty cramped.

I agree. if the sf are spread outover levels that makes it feel bigger. Maybe a tri-level?

Heather Micaela
04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I dont think there is any right answer. We have had 7 (two moved out ) in 780 square feet so :shrug

I think you could do 1600-1800 easily and IMO a one level seems bigger. Just be careful *where* the footage is. You want a big enough Living room. Kitchen size is based on your preference. Check bedroom size.

We had one place with more square footage, but it was because the BATHROOM was big. That is one of the least important rooms size-wise as far as I am concerned

WanderingJuniper
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
There are 5 of us in 1440sqft right now. I think the key is layout and having more than one bathroom.

Rea T
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Layout and organization are definitely the key and I'd look at any property with that in mind. You may need to take a bit longer walking through it and maybe sketching some layout and then going home and thinking "Hmmm, will this work for us?" What about this? What about that? The answer really will be different for everyone and every property. The square footage of our house is great (1600), but there are so many things that don't work because of the layout. With a different layout I could easily lop off some of that square footage.

Katherine
04-11-2008, 05:07 PM
The layout and design are KEY to your living experience in any house

I live in a 3-story house... almost 3,000 sq ft. We have tons of space, but it's disconnected, disjointed, and very poorly designed.

I go crazy running from room to room, floor to floor... trying to watch 3 kids in such a disconnected space... walking around in circles in my own home. ARGH!

We are actually looking to downsize (strange for a growing family). I'll be looking at the layout/design of houses, and how well the space is used. Big rooms are NOT always best--if you don't have enough lengths of wall to put major furniture then it's a constant pain in the rear... If you have a ton of space in a room where you're not gonna need it that much, then you're not gonna get the most out of your square footage, kwim?

I wish I knew exactly what *to* look for... I know more what I'm NOT looking for. :shrug We bought this house b/c we were just so "wow'd" by all the space, space, space. I realize now that functionality and design are SOOOOO much more important.

Heather Micaela
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
wish I knew exactly what *to* look for... I know more what I'm NOT looking for. We bought this house b/c we were just so "wow'd" by all the space, space, space. I realize now that functionality and design are SOOOOO much more important.
I know the feeling. We are nowhere close to being the the market but have fun looking at model homes in new neighborhoods. It seems great with the space but then you begin to realize the bedroom are all at weird locations and the laundry room is huge while the 3rd bedroom is small.

AmyDoll
04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I would look for: a nice sized kitchen - room for a big table, room to cook, look out for awkward corners - open the fridge and the cupboards - do they cut off walkways?

look at the flow - can u see the family room from the kitchen? that's really important to me bc I like to make dinner and the kids can be in the family room watching tv or playing.

bedrooms - we just use our bedrooms for sleeping. Are the bedrooms big enough for more than 1 person? Both of my boys have room for 2 - a full bed in Sam's room and a twin trundle in Nicholas' room. I like all the bedrooms on one end of the house (vs. split bedroom)