PDA

View Full Version : how do you store kid art work?

klpmommy
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
i take pics of some, i throw a lot away :shifty but the pieces that are worth keeping......

Aisling
04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Good thread!! :popcorn

joby'smom
04-11-2008, 08:40 AM
The school I worked at fr awhile had pieces maybe 16 x 20 inches of plexy (sp?) glass drilled into the walls. They were fames for the changing art work. When I stop renting I am going to do the same.

For pieces Connor brings home, we have a cabinet w/ glass doors. It's his art gallery. we even have a battery lamp in there. He makes labels for each piece. When it gets too full he chooses what he want to store in a bin under his bed.

blessedwithboys
04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
:popcorn An IRL friend (hi Jen!) said that she got unused pizza boxes and used one for each kid each year. I'm thinking about doing that.

FaroeIslandBabes
04-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I know that you can buy different kinds of folders, plain & probley some more fancy. I used to work at an art & frameshop that sold these very large folders with handles for artwork...thats of course if you dont mind spending money for it and companies like Lillian Vernon have some colorful, fun art carriers (whatd you call those?)
....the pizza boxes sound like a good idea! (and cheaper!) :)

DeenyB
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I have a really hard time with this. I like to keep special artwork in a smallish size tote. And the "extras"get displayed on the side of the refidgerator with magnetic clips. We rotate them as they come home.

The hard part I have about keeping this stuff, is that about 5 years ago, my mother came for a visit and brought me a HUGE garbage bag of my stuff from when i was in school.

I admit, it was so fun for the kids and I to look through once, but then what do i do with it?? I kept about a file folder amount of stuff from my mom, (they smelled so musty and BAD)
I am really trying to be a minimalist, about the amount of "stuff" I keep. (I cant handle clutter)
But I will still keep special things for the kids.

Wow, I ramble

KatieMae
04-11-2008, 09:29 AM
I can tell you what I'm planning to do for the kids' artwork to keep it for homeschooling purposes (IOW, evidence :giggle) This is also what I used during my time at art school to keep my drawings safe & flat...

If you go to a store like Michael's you can buy two large sheets of mat board, say 24x36. Then you attach them - either to make a folded piece by putting a long strip of tape on the inside along the long edges or you can punch holes all the way around & weave string to make it a 3-sides-closed pocket folder. Then regardless of that part, punch two holes in the center-top of each piece to thread more string to make handles. Then, it's just a matter of limiting what you're going to save or making additional folders to hold more stuff!

I'm not sure what to do about 3-D stuff. I think I would have to dedicate one shelf (maybe half a shelf?) for each child & then they would have to choose what to keep & what to toss. That could be in their room.

Also, after we paint the walls in our living room (hopefully within the next few days) I'm going to hang 4 8x10 frames & then just switch out images when I want. (I already had the frames - I found them in my closet when I was decluttering :O I couldn't get rid of them or sell them super-cheap, so I'm repurposing them :yes)

FaroeIslandBabes
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I totally agree...I dont like clutter either and plan on only keeping the "special" stuff :)

FaroeIslandBabes
04-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I can tell you what I'm planning to do for the kids' artwork to keep it for homeschooling purposes (IOW, evidence :giggle) This is also what I used during my time at art school to keep my drawings safe & flat...

If you go to a store like Michael's you can buy two large sheets of mat board, say 24x36. Then you attach them - either to make a folded piece by putting a long strip of tape on the inside along the long edges or you can punch holes all the way around & weave string to make it a 3-sides-closed pocket folder. Then regardless of that part, punch two holes in the center-top of each piece to thread more string to make handles. Then, it's just a matter of limiting what you're going to save or making additional folders to hold more stuff!

I'm not sure what to do about 3-D stuff. I think I would have to dedicate one shelf (maybe half a shelf?) for each child & then they would have to choose what to keep & what to toss. That could be in their room.

Also, after we paint the walls in our living room (hopefully within the next few days) I'm going to hang 4 8x10 frames & then just switch out images when I want. (I already had the frames - I found them in my closet when I was decluttering :O I couldn't get rid of them or sell them super-cheap, so I'm repurposing them :yes)

Great ideas!! I like the idea of framing and switching them out every so often.... :heart