PDA

View Full Version : is your front door and screen door....

Can Dance
04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
close into each other? like, are the handles on the same side?
what is normal?
trying to decide if I want a new door.

Eowyn
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Mine are, my parents' aren't. Totally helpful, I know. :shifty

Mother of Sons
04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Mine are both on the left. I think it would drive me nuts if they opened different ways!

KatieMae
04-09-2008, 04:55 PM
My architect husband says...

The handles should be on the same side, but it doesn't matter which side it is. Determine which way is better by thinking about getting out in an emergency & which way you prefer your interior door to open.

You can call that a "professional opinion" :sillygrin

RiverRock
04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
The handles being on the same side would work for our front door, but our side entry (main, less formal entry) would work best for the interior door to open one way, and the screen the other so the screen could be left open if necessary, and be out of the line of traffic....maybe we would need a retractable screen for that door...if I chose to live without the flies. :bag

Ali
04-09-2008, 08:47 PM
It depends on how your door is positioned. There are cases where it is better for the interior door to open one way (because of how the inside of the house is laid out) and for the exterior door to open the other way - because of how the door is located on the outside of the house. Usually you see them both on the same side, but my Aunt and Uncle have a situation where it is better to be opposite. I wish I could draw it for you, it would make more sense!

Can Dance
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I think I am leaning toward opposite handles. partly because when you open the screen door now, it like pushes you down the stairs, well almost, because its really the opposite of the way it should be going...I think. I just didn't want to do something freakishly weird to everyone else. :O