PDA

View Full Version : can I cook with expired milk?

GodChick
04-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I've got half a gallon of milk that expired on 4/5 . . . it's 4/9 today. It doesn't look or smell bad. I do allow my children to drink milk (we're not dairy-free) but I don't want to give them milk that is expired. I remember my mother used to say it's okay to cook with milk like that. Right? I assume it has to be something where the milk is totally cooked, like baked into something, right? I can't just make cream of wheat on the stove with it, right?

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with this milk? I hate to just throw away half a gallon of organic milk!!

Iansmama
04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
If it doesn't smell bad or taste bad, I would use it as I always do.

Six Little Feet
04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
yes I would use it as normal

diamondintherough
04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
If it doesn't smell bad or taste bad, I would use it as I always do.

:yes

But, if you are still worried, use it for cooking. I wouldn't think it would matter whether you made cream of wheat on the stove or baked something with it. :shrug

nikismiles
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
If you heat it and it starts getting flaky (watery with white flakes), it's a sign that it's bad...at least that's what i've heard.

Elora
04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
my stepmom worked at a store where they sold milk and they'd have to clear the shelves on the "sell by" date

but that's all that date is, a "SELL by" date

she'd bring it home and it'd usually be good for about 10 days

as long as it doesn't smell soured, i'd use it and not think twice

jrsmama
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Absolutely use your old milk to cook with! Heck, if it didn't smell bad, I'd even drink it.

Many people (including me...lots of Southern and country folks do this) leave milk in the bad of the fridge specifically to turn and make "clabber", which my dad mixes into cornbread to eat like cereal. I don't like the flavor of that, myself, but i LOVE to bake with expired milk...it makes your baked goods light and flavorful. I also like to add a drop of vinegar to make my milk curdle before I make biscuits, pancakes, etc. In fact, I like to use old milk better than fresh for baked goods. :yes

celestial princess
04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
you could make yogurt with it - although based on the dates and appearance, it's pro'lly still good - I think I've heard at least a week after sell by.

krysmh
04-09-2008, 11:49 AM
It's pretty obvious when milk goes bad. :yes

mamaKristin
04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
IME, I find milk to be "off" when I can smell it. IYKWIM. No smell, it's fine.

mykidsmom
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Wow, I did not know you could use expired milk... Seriously, I'm so scared of food poisoning, I don't even look twice before throwing away what could be perfectly good milk, eggs and expensive steak.

It makes sense, though.

My grandmother used to talk about how (when she was little) if noone would get the milk off the porch in time, or if their milk would go bad, they'd eat "curds and whey"... She also tells stories of how her (alcoholic) step mother would make stew and leave it on the stove and the kids would eat of off it for days.... :sick Man, they must have stomachs of steel...

GodChick
04-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I also like to add a drop of vinegar to make my milk curdle before I make biscuits, pancakes, etc. In fact, I like to use old milk better than fresh for baked goods.

i think i will make some big batches of pancakes and waffles to keep in the freezer for quick breakfasts. :tu

Wow, I did not know you could use expired milk... Seriously, I'm so scared of food poisoning, I don't even look twice before throwing away what could be perfectly good milk, eggs and expensive steak.

I'm kind of the same way, which is why i didn't want to let the kids drink it, even though it smells and tastes okay. But i remember my mom having "x-milk" in the fridge: milk that was expired which she drew a big "x" on with a marker so we would know not to drink it -- it was only for cooking. :giggle But i couldn't think of anything to cook with it -- but now i think i'll make pancakes and waffles! :mrgreen

jrsmama
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I, too, have been thinking I need to make a batch of pancakes to keep in the freezer. I think my bug is going thru a spurt and needs more food and I'm tired of giving him only cereal on school days. I really need a waffle iron...

mykidsmom
04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Pancakes and waffles in the freezer? Again, makes sense as these are already commercial products. :think

How do you do it? Is there a certain recipe to follow? I assume you cook them first and then reheat them, but how do you reheat them (toaster - microwave)?

celestial princess
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I always just throw the few extra pancakes i have left in the freezer, wrapped in wax paper and sealed in a zip top bag. Regular recipes. Reheat in toaster. :tu

GodChick
04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
i just make them the same way i always do, just regular waffles and pancakes. then i wrap them in freezer paper and put them in ziplock bags and stick them in the freezer. (you can skip the freezer paper if you don't mind your food touching the plastic.) then i pop them in the toaster to warm them up and serve. (Just like "Eggos." ;) )

mykidsmom
04-09-2008, 03:04 PM
What a great idea! Thanks ladies! :grin