PDA

View Full Version : When do I start my seeds?

Rea T
04-09-2008, 06:29 AM
I live in SD. This is my 2nd gardening attempt. Last year I got a late start and just bought nursery plants, this year I want to try starting from seed. How do I know when to start them, when to put them in the ground, what to do with them in the interim?

Novella
04-09-2008, 06:34 AM
My experience with gardening is limited so take my advice with a grain of salt.... ;)

You can start your seedlings inside now. You should plant inside 4-6 weeks before your last frost of the season.

Here's a link that could help: http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenprimer/a/SeedStarting.htm

I live in the South and started my seedlings about 3 weeks ago. I hope to plant in 3 weeks.

WanderingJuniper
04-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I should be starting my seeds next week. I'm starting them outside in a hotbed so hopefully any risk of frost will be minimal. I can't start mine inside. I tried last year and discovered there is nowhere to put them that my son won't dig in the pots. :no This is my first year starting from seeds but it is under the ardent supervision of a retired professional gardener that is my grandma's husband.

TrinMama
04-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I just started seeds last week, in NY. Some are sprouting already in their little greenhouse, and I really hope they don't get too big before I can put them outside! Lowe's has great supplies for starting things indoors. That's where I bought all my stuff.