PDA

View Full Version : A question for my fellow Messies

Eowyn
04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Flylady. Will I like it? Is it possible for my ADD Messy self to keep up with it?

Any experience? I hate cluttering my inbox, and for some reason I associate flylady with lots of emails. An engineer friend recommended it strongly, and I want to know more before I take the plunge. Needless to say, said friend is not a messy. :no

Aisling
04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
It drove me up the wall. :duck I took one look and ran away in a cold sweat. :giggle

But then, that's the nature of my beast...the moment I have rigid rules, I freak out and flounder. But I've heard it work for a lot of friends, so.. :shrug

luvinmykidz
04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Flylady is flawed :nak2 everytime I check my email for flylady I notice all my replies on GCM :shifty :doh then I completely forget that I am on to FLY and get distracted by GCM :giggle I have tried and failed fly lady 4 times now :O :yes :shifty

apmommy
04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
:yes

Bonnie
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Flylady scares me. Sidetracked Home Executives saved my life.

Lantern Light Mama
04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Fly lady scared me pretty fast too. I think it was all of the structure. :shifty

Eowyn
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
How sad is it that I remember the Sidetracked Home Executives book from my childhood, and one of my mother's many attempts at organization? :giggle

luvinmykidz
04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
It is also rather frightening how it emails me to remind me to go to bed :no If I could go to bed I WOULD!!! Plus they are obviously in a different time zone then me and they send me my get to bed email at dinner time :scratch :shifty :doh

GodChick
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I don't like flylady, either. It astounds me that people manage to make enough time to do flylady. It was hard for me, because, even though she allegedly breaks stuff down into smaller, easily managable chunks, it's like 10,000 little chunks. I would finish my 10-step boogie or whatever it was called, and then I'd try to start something else, like my transcription, and I'd get one patient done before I got another email telling me it was time to work on my hot-spot or whatever. :banghead It was like being pecked to death by ducks.

It is also rather frightening how it emails me to remind me to go to bed If I could go to bed I WOULD!!!

Yeah, that. It would really chap my hide when I'm shackled to the computer, wishing I didn't have hours more work to do, and I get an email that says, "Why are you still on the computer? Go to bed!" or soemthing like that. :rolleyes

klpmommy
04-09-2008, 06:06 AM
I didn't like flylady. It was overwhelming for me. I did a modified flylady for a while which I liked. Signing up for no email did help & I was doing good with daily tasks for a long time. She has some good ideas & tips (like keeping a toilet brush by each toilet rather than lugging that gross thing from the basement to the second floor :shifty ).

blessedwithboys
04-09-2008, 06:08 AM
How sad is it that I remember the Sidetracked Home Executives book from my childhood, and one of my mother's many attempts at organization? :giggle

:haha I do too! Now my kids are going to remember Flylady :doh

erinee
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
There are some things I like about Flylady. Mostly I've adopted some of her mantras, like "housework done incorrectly still blesses your family" and "you can do anything for 15 minutes." Over the years I've adapted her schedule to meet my needs. I have a control journal with my own morning, afternoon, and evening routines, and it's all based on Flylady but not exactly the way she says to do it.

Mother of Sons
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Flylady totally confuses me. There are so many different elements that I don't understand the method at all.

LadybugSam
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
There are some things I like about Flylady. Mostly I've adopted some of her mantras, like "housework done incorrectly still blesses your family" and "you can do anything for 15 minutes." Over the years I've adapted her schedule to meet my needs. I have a control journal with my own morning, afternoon, and evening routines, and it's all based on Flylady but not exactly the way she says to do it.

:yes I've quite flylady twice already, but every time i do it, i get more motivated to do it myself. Honestly though, i prefer motivated moms, but i did pick up some good things from flylady

Marielle
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't like flylady, either. It astounds me that people manage to make enough time to do flylady. It was hard for me, because, even though she allegedly breaks stuff down into smaller, easily managable chunks, it's like 10,000 little chunks. I would finish my 10-step boogie or whatever it was called, and then I'd try to start something else, like my transcription, and I'd get one patient done before I got another email telling me it was time to work on my hot-spot or whatever. :banghead It was like being pecked to death by ducks.

It is also rather frightening how it emails me to remind me to go to bed If I could go to bed I WOULD!!!

Yeah, that. It would really chap my hide when I'm shackled to the computer, wishing I didn't have hours more work to do, and I get an email that says, "Why are you still on the computer? Go to bed!" or soemthing like that. :rolleyes

totally agree!

I signed up the first time and would get sucked into putzing around on the computer LOL.

The second time I signed up and decided to work on the control journal. I obsessed and worked so much on that thing when it came to implementing I was done. Like GC mentioned it was like being pecked to death.

Like MOS mentioned there's no logic to the method (or at least that makes sense in my ADD mind) that would allow you to slowly wean yourself off the needing the reminders. It's overwhelming period. And I hate wearing shoes, I like cleaning in gruddy clothes. And if I shine the sink I REFUSE to use it so no one eats. LOL

RealLifeMama
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I prefer Flylady the way it was 5 years ago.
I mean, the whole thing started as one woman got her act together and how she was doing it, and she shared it with others via the internet. She was concentrating on only one or two areas of her life. Now, as time has passed, Flylady herself has "gotten it together" in other areas of her life, so she is sharing those things with us as well [exercise, etc] and it all does add up to be a lot.
Also, she used to have different reminders and now she has dropped a lot of the reminders and her routines are actually sent out now. Looking at her morning routine as it is now is overwhelming to me. When I first signed up for it a long time ago, it was more babysteppy. One or two things at a time, KWIM?
The home blessing even has more stuff in it now than it used to, and the testimonials are just different.

I think if one can choose a few things to really work on [spend 15 minutes focusing on one area!! Just one area for 15 minutes, which is really hard for a lot of SHE's, because we get so sidetracked, and the Missions, and the morning and evening routine] then the rest will start to fall into place. Just forget about all the other stuff.

kwisie
04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I never got past the front page to even get signed up. :shifty

milkmommy
04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
nope hated it..
Deanna

GodChick
04-09-2008, 07:59 PM
And if I shine the sink I REFUSE to use it so no one eats. LOL

LOL -- same here!! :lol

RiverRock
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
By the second day I cancelled the e-mails and just followed the zones. That worked for me, kinda. I always felt guilty that I should be decluttering instead. I am good at the cleaning part, but not the decision-making that comes with decluttering. After a few months I found the pages describing the control journal and thought that was great! Just a few weeks ago I found the page describing how to shine a sink and was :jawdrop because I didn't know she actually oiled her sink after buffing and cleaning it. I have come to the conclusion that there is simply too much stuff on her site, and I will just glean what seems to be helpful at the time. I don't get the featherduster thing (a damp rag is my preferred method of dusting) nor could I ever just sweep or vacuum the pathways and ignore the edges. Some things will never rub off on me. I suppose the same thing goes with Sidetracked Home Executives...the only thing that really benefitted me was that I should clean up my sandwhich fixin's before eating the sandwhich. :P~ Oh, and I have finally come around to decluttering more and Flylady was right that doing that first helps the cleaning and tidying to be easier. :yes

crunchymum
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
i think it depends... i learned about flylady about 6 years ago, and she changed my life, quite literally. :yes i'm totally an inconsistant person all around, so things don't "stick" for long, but i did flylady enough to get a good start on decluttering and etc. i still use a timer set for 15 minutes when i feel overwhelmed by a task. and i still like the way my sink looks when it's clean. :giggle i think within the first month or so of flylady, we got rid of 12 huge Bags of Stuff. i actually kind of liked the "missions", etc... but i would just check the website, the emails drove me nuts.

anyway, i learned a lot from her methods, like "you can't organize clutter". :shrug