PDA

View Full Version : Baking..

Maddysmother
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Anyone really good at baking? What do you usually bake?

CakeLady
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I bake cakes and lots of different breads.

bliss
04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I can bake anything that doesn't require yeast. Yeast hates me. I can do vegan-all-natural-organic-whole-wheat-flour muffins/cookies, or I can do evil-white-flour-crisco-refined-sugar cookies/cakes, etc. Baking runs in my family, my grandad owned the only bakery in town when my dad was little, and my dad grew up working in the back.

Maddysmother
04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I can bake anything that doesn't require yeast. Yeast hates me. I can do vegan-all-natural-organic-whole-wheat-flour muffins/cookies, or I can do evil-white-flour-crisco-refined-sugar cookies/cakes, etc. Baking runs in my family, my grandad owned the only bakery in town when my dad was little, and my dad grew up working in the back.

Yummy, that sounds soo good!

Living My Dream
04-09-2008, 03:52 AM
buns, cakes, scones, flapjack, biscuits, breads, ermmm loads of things. i love to bake!

Marrae
04-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Mostly bake bread, pancakes, scones and chocolate sponges. Do tray bakes sometimes too. :yes

CakeLady
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Do tray bakes sometimes too.

What's a tray bake?

Marrae
04-09-2008, 09:04 AM
What's a tray bake?
:think Hmm, you must call them something different. Like caramel shortbread or flapjacks or something like that baked in a large oblong or square baking tray and cut into squares to serve.

CakeLady
04-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Okay, I know what your talking about. I don't think I have a word for it...but now I do. :giggle

Mother of Sons
04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Like caramel shortbread or flapjacks or something like that baked in a large oblong or square baking tray and cut into squares to serve.

Those are called "bars" here except not flapjacks. Those are pancakes and I've never heard of them being baked before.

Marrae
04-09-2008, 09:34 AM
So weird.........I did a google image search and found what you call flapjacks. :hunh

This is what we call flapjacks-
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/conrick/flapjack.jpg

:shifty :giggle

Minerva
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
breads, muffins, cakes, pies, quiches, bars, scones, cookies, biscotti, biscuits, tarts, brownies, etc

CakeLady
04-09-2008, 10:27 AM
for me flapjacks = pancakes...i didn't know they meant something different

Mother of Sons
04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I had never heard of them being anything other than pancakes either! Funny.

jrsmama
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I much prefer baking to cooking. There's rhyme and reason and if you measure correctly, everything turns out right...especially if your oven has a timer :heart! I'm really bad at starting some other chore while cooking and burn stuff.

bliss
04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
So weird.........I did a google image search and found what you call flapjacks. :hunh

This is what we call flapjacks-
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/conrick/flapjack.jpg

:shifty :giggle

so what's in those? They look yum!

Marielle
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
yup I remember being shocked to find out that the brits call granola type bars flapjacks.

I love to bake, it was and always will be my first love. I had a rocky start (ask my family what I subjected them to at the ages of 13-15) but I had a turn around by 15 and had a side business making latin desserts on order.

Still love to bake and try out new recips all the time - I spend the GCM break perusing food blogs and food forums like cooking light, egullet, chowhound and Cook's Illustrated.

Synesthesia
04-09-2008, 11:54 AM

It would shock me if you didn't, as you have a lovely picture of cake next to your name and you're called "Cakelady"
*bad joke*

I love baking decadent chocolate things. Back in the old days when I used to bake cookies they'd turn into miserable dopy puddles. But now, they turn out lovely, thanks to this excellent recipe.
I wish I had some chocolate chips now of the ghiradelli variety because I bought a huge bottle of vanilla on sale. Two whole ounces!
I also baked thse deliciously decadent mega chocolate brownies that taste even better with more chocolate and chocolate chips. Next I want to try them with 60% cocoa chips. It would make horses faint.
I win at buttercream chocolate frosting, but i still have trouble making cakes from scratch that aren't too dry.
Lucky for me Target has a great cake mix with no transfat that turns out lovely.
I also made oatmeal cookies one time that were good. Oatmeal cookies are cookies you can eat for breakfast.
One day I want to figure out how to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

CakeLady
04-09-2008, 12:29 PM

It would shock me if you didn't, as you have a lovely picture of cake next to your name and you're called "Cakelady"
*bad joke*

:giggle

bliss
04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I just want to take a moment to mention how much I super-adore Synesthesia...you so rock, my cyber-friend! :heart
[/hijack]

Synesthesia
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Also I made bread recently.
It turned out good, it was a bit dry and crumbly, but really good. I have another loaf in the freezer, maybe I'll thaw it out and make roast beef sandwiches.
I like making bread and I think I should do it forever.
Thanks bliss. How nice. : o)

Eowyn
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I bake pretty much anything from R2D2 cakes to chicken. Tonight I'll bake fish. :giggle I prefer to do desserts, specifically cakes and cookies. I don't have the attention span for cooking, not to mention I'm horrible at eyeballing things for doneness. More than once I have served chicken black on the outside and raw on the inside. :sick2

So yeah, I bake. I love to bake. Especially chocolate things. :yum

jrsmama
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Now, of course, as the mother of a Star Wars freak from age 3 I must ask...what is an R2D2 cake?

Eowyn
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Now, of course, as the mother of a Star Wars freak from age 3 I must ask...what is an R2D2 cake?

This is the R2D2 cake (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=166346.0) I made for DH's birthday. I really enjoy doing the cakes for my kids' birthdays. Ian has requested a whomping willow cake with a Ford Anglia stuck in it (thanks, Harry Potter :rolleyes2) for his birthday in July, and Henry want a Lightning McQueen cake.

Synesthesia
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Aw
What a cute cake.
I'd want one shaped like Bernie.
but it would not be a carrot cake but a mega decadently murderously chocolate cake.
Or maybe one shaped like an electric guitar, or one that says Dir en grey on it somewhere

jrsmama
04-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Oh. My. Goodness. That is AWESOME!

I like to make the cakes for bdays, too. DS's bday is in June. He had a Star Wars party 2 years ago, but I may have to think about another one!