PDA

View Full Version : Help me Sneaky Chef/DD this recipe

Mert
04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I found a waffle recipe that I like with my new waffle iron, but I'd like to add a fruit or veggie. I have frozen berries and dried berries. Could I just add those to make say blueberry waffles? How do I do that and how much? Also, how would I add a puree of carrots or zucchini or banana? Seems like if I can make bread out of those things, I could probably do waffles with them. Any thoughts? Here's the recipe from the Bread Beckers book:

3 cups freshly milled flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 oil
4 eggs
3-4 cups buttermilk (We're dairy free so I used coconut milk and LOVED it!!)

Mix together dry ingredients. Add liquids. Stir just until mixed. Fry on hot oiled griddle.

bananacake
04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
My standard is canned pumpkin or squash. I replace 1/2 the oil in whatever recipe with pumpkin and you can't even tell.

Mert
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Bananacake! I thought that it was you that had suggested this before, but I couldn't remember exactly who or exactly what had been said. Glad you saw the thread and shared!!

Katigre
04-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I would say 1/2 cup of puree would easily hide in there - if not more.

mom2threegirls
04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Berries would be YUMMY in there! You could do 3 cups of the coconut milk (I bet that was YUMMY in there! :yum) or buttermilk and 3/4 cup of berry puree.

Sweet potato puree would be really good too- it adds a really nice sweetness. Probably about a half cup :yes. Mmm! Now I want to make waffles! ;)

You could totally put carrots or zucchinni or banana- you could grate the zuch or carrots really finely, or make a puree in the food processor. Mash the banana up really well (more than with banana bread since waffle batter is more fragile and thinner) or just use a frozen one that's been thawed and mash it a little- they get more mushy when they've been frozen.

Mert
04-08-2008, 04:20 AM
I knew you mommas would come through for me!!

doubleblessings
04-08-2008, 04:24 AM
I have no idea about the recipe, but do you come to bread beckers much? If so we should get together when you do, because they are very close to me.

Mert
04-08-2008, 06:28 AM
I am planning a trip the week after passover. I'd :heart to get together!! Maybe Tuesday, the 29th or Wednesday, the 30th will work out. :woohoo

doubleblessings
04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Sure. Tuesday would be better, but if I know far enough in advance I could probably do Wednesday.

Mert
04-08-2008, 06:52 AM
No need to move your schedule around... Tuesday is fine with me! It's a date!!