PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Skillet Cleaning?

Littledisciples
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I grew up using cast iron. Well tell now never really had my own. So I got one. I seasoned it. Today I fryed 4 pieces of bacon in it. Just to use it mainly. ;) So now I wonder should I wash it with soap and water and then just dry it on the burner. Or just rinse it out and dry it on the burner. I dumped the greese out already. :shrug My mom always used soap and water. Then some people suggest no soap at all. Any one know for sure.

bananacake
04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Rinse it in hot water and dry it on the burner. I only use a sponge or soap if something's caked on.

Marielle
04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
you don't need to rinse it. If anything is stuck just leave the grease that was in it, add a handful of kosher salt and scrub that mix until the stuff gets loosened and wipe it with a rag or paper towel. If it looks too dry or there wasn't enough grease I'd wipe it warm with some oil and let it cool before putting it away.

I never really rinse my cast iron.

rosesnsnails
The directions for mine said abosolutely no soap. :shrug I just use hot water and a scraper to clean it.

hey mommy
I follow the directions at the bottom of this page: http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp

Since mine are made by them anyway..

Iarwain
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I always wash in soapy water and towel dry, then leave to air to let the last bit of moisture evaporate before putting it away. I grew up with cast iron and that is what my mom always did. In fact I still have the set of skillets my parents got for a wedding present. They are in wonderful condition. I did have one that I seasoned myself from brand new and I treated it the same way and it also was in excellent condition, though I did reseason it once or twice early on when it got scrubbed a little too hard and started to stick. I started wiping just a tiny bit of oil in it before putting it away and that helped a lot. M took that one when he moved out because it was a duplicate. My MIL rarely washes hers and to be frank that always grossed me out a little.

Mother of Sons
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I always at least rinse them unless I'll be cooking in it again within the same day, then I just wipe them out. I rarely use soap.

Marielle
04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
LOL - I was grossed out by the idea of not rinsing mine (it's a round griddle with a handle) but when I saw the idea online from some guy that's considered a cast iron guru I decided to try it out. My griddle looks like a patch of black ice and is very clean with just the salt scrub and liberal greasings (I use butter, olive oil, coconut oil or sometimes canola).

ladybug
04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
This is GREAT for me to read because we have a cast iron skillet for our camper, and I was wondering what to do with it for washing, etc.
Thanks for the info!!!!

Littledisciples
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
I follow the directions at the bottom of this page: http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp

Since mine are made by them anyway..

thats who mine is made by too.

Thanks ladies your all a wealth of information. :rockon