PDA

View Full Version : Canning Plans Spring/Summer 2008

kklibrarian
04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok, it's getting warm enough for good fruits and veggies here, so I guess I'll fire up this tiny corner of GCM one more time with my list of items I plan on canning this spring summer.

I've already made 5 pints of strawberry preserves, and have strawberries in the freezer to make some more.

I'm going to make pepper jelly probably this weekend.

As soon as peaches come in really good, I want to can peach filling for cobblers and pies.

My parents have dewberries behind their house and I'd like to harvest some and get the juice for jelly.

I must get my hands on some figs. We don't have any fig trees, but I should be able to buy some or get some in trade from the neighbors. My papaw's fig preserve recipe was a big hit this year and now I'm completely out and must make more.

I'm also going to put up a ton of tomatoes this year. We use so many canned tomatoes in our cooking, and I think I could get better quality at a lower cost if I canned my own. Also, lots of salsa and spaghetti sauce.

I'll be back to post any new recipes I find later.

Blessings,
Kelly

swimming with sharks
04-07-2008, 01:54 PM
also going to put up a ton of tomatoes this year. We use so many canned tomatoes in our cooking, and I think I could get better quality at a lower cost if I canned my own. Also, lots of salsa and spaghetti sauce.

I've been having this same thought since I started trying to get our grocery budget in line. Strawberries aren't in yet here, but soon. I can't wait. :yes

rosesnsnails
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
What would you suggest for a beginner? How do you seal your canning jars? I'm not sure where to start. I'm putting in a garden this year and want to know how to can the excess.

:shifty help!

kklibrarian
04-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Most fruit preserves and jellies are pretty simple. Tomatoes are really basic too. You don't need a pressure canner for jelly, preserves, or items with a high acid content like tomatoes. You can do them in a boiling water bath. I have a large pot that I use for boiling water canning. I seal my jars using standard lids and rings. If you are just starting out in canning, I recommend the Ball Blue Book. It is put out by the Ball Canning Company that makes jars, lids, rings, and canning accessories. You can buy it on Amazon the last time I checked. It is a clear guide to the canning process with lots of useful recipes.

Blessings,
Kelly

rosesnsnails
04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks! Right now it seems very ominous! Maybe the book can shed some light on the subject. :)

Happy Mom
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
My plans are as follows...(whether or not it happens is another thing :P~ )

Strawberry preserves
tomatoes
sweet corn
peaches
apricot jam
garbanzo and pinto beans (my dh's best friends' dad grows garbanzos and we can have as many as we can pick. :) )
perhaps some spaghetti sauce and/or salsa as well. :)

jrsmama
04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Jen, I was scared, too, of canning. I freeze everything I can, pretty much. There is a lot you can freeze including fresh fruits and veggies, salsa, spag sauce, etc.

kklibrarian
06-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Ok, the garden is starting to come in. In the next couple of weeks, I'm planning on putting up several jars of salsa, some spaghetti sauce, green pepper jelly, and hopefully some watermelon rind preserves. I've already put up 5 jars of cranberry conserve and some strawberry preserves. I've got the peppers soaking for pepper jelly right now. YUM! :smile

CakeLady
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Any chance you'd share your salsa and spaghetti sauce recipes?

I don't have a garden, but I do get a lot through a local co-op when we are able to buy by the case. I hope to replace my stash of pear butter....it's my fav.

AmyDoll
06-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Hooray! I have 18 cups of Strawberry Jam in the freezer and I canned 2 small jars of strawberry syrup & 2 jars of Preserves (for gifts)

This is fun!

kklibrarian
06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
The salsa recipe is several posts down in this forum. Here's the link. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=129739.0

The spaghetti sauce recipe is in the thread on Summer Canning Plans for 2007. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=124087.0

Hope it helps!

Blessings,
Kelly

CakeLady
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks. I saw the recipes after I posted that. :heart

tempus vernum
07-08-2008, 04:52 AM
I thought I'd post my goals.

Strawberry jam (gotta get moving on this if I am doing it)
Tomatoes
salsa
spaghetti sauce
ketchup
tomato sauce
V8 like recipe
squash
corn
beans (green, wax and purple)
pickles

I am also pondering jalapenos - not sure yet if I should give this a try or not. I guess it will depend on how the garden does.

I grow my own (except strawberries and cucumbers) so my canning will only happen if I have a great harvest :pray4