PDA

View Full Version : Do people really used condensed and powdered milk regularly?

Heather Micaela
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
My dd participates in a food program with the same income qualifications as WiC, but it is an alternative. IT is a pre-packaged box of food we pick up once a month. We like it better sice we do not need all the dairy Wic gives. And this gives canned veggies, rice, and some canned meat in addition to the juice and peanut butter. But it also gives us 4 cans of condensed milk and a package of powdered milk.

I keep giving it to charity because we dont do dairy. But it makes me wonder. Who actually USES this stuff? I mean we are pretty broke right now and wouldnt even consider it for our few milk drinkers. I know once in a while a recipe uses condensed milk, but does this stuff really get used by the people they donate to, or is it getting re-donated in circles till it expires and gets tossed out?

inesperada
04-07-2008, 07:55 AM
I know hillbilly housewife's recipes call for powdered milk quite often.

Ali
04-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I use it. I will even drink it. (when I am eating dairy) Evap. milk makes awesome hot cocoa and I like powdered milk when it's ice cold.

Heather Micaela
04-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Really? I'd seriously do without first. (But then I think the whole Milk campaign is inaccurate)

Iarwain
04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I use powdered milk in cooking, or rather I did before I had a dairy allergic child. My mom, who was not exactly a whole foods chef, used it in instant mashed potatoes and for the milk portion of boxed mac 'n cheese because it was cheaper and you couldn't taste the difference. I do keep a box in the pantry to put on cereal when we run out of regular milk. No one really likes it but it does the job in a pinch. To drink by the glass it's pretty disgusting.

MarynMunchkins
04-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I use powdered milk all the time to make pancakes and waffles. :)

rosesnsnails
04-07-2008, 08:23 AM
From what I understand, they offer it because some people do not have refrigeration. This way they can have dairy without it going bad. :shrug

me
04-07-2008, 08:29 AM
THere are some very very yummy recipes out there that call for them :yes Mostly cakes and candy.
Now that I know there are healthier alternatives I no longer buy either. But before when I needed to stretch my money they were both very helpful. Its a great way to have dairy handy that doesnt spoil. I can see how it would be handy for someone trying to save money.
Even when I was in college and didnt have a very big fridge or the means to go to the grocery store every weekend I would keep a box of powdered milk handy and would make a quart of milk to put in the fridge for my cereal in the morning.

3xblessed
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I keep a box of powered milk on hand to use in cooking since I don't always have regular milk.

SouthPaw
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
i use evaporated milk frequently, condensed milk not as much. i've never used powdered milk but if it was available instead of milk i had to buy, i would definitely use it instead in some recipes.

milkmommy
04-07-2008, 08:39 AM
We are milk users and drinkers I use powdered milk a lot we drink regular milk or use it like for cereal and such but if a recipie calls for milk I use powdered. With a 1/2 gallon of Organic milk costing $4 we needed to find an alternitive we use powdered. I do use condensed at times not as much though but if we had it we'd use it.

Deanna

Lavender Lily
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
you could use condensed milk to make "Arroz con leche" :P~
Martha Stewart says she drinks it from the can, I've never tried it but my mom also says its great. Powdered milk, we got afetr we were in a flood when I was a kid, my mom made us milk with it....just add water. I don't know if thats the same thing though now that I think about it.

Firebird Rising
04-07-2008, 08:53 AM
My dad drinks powdered (with water) every morning on his cereal. He is the only one in the house that won't eat soy milk so he makes little batches of it for himself. He's very much a miser so I'm not surprised, though. We grew up with it before we all went vegan (except for him).

Jen D.

Minerva
04-07-2008, 08:56 AM
We don't drink a lot of milk in our house, so I use powered for *all* my cooking.

Atarah
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
my dad uses powdered milk for his coffee 'creamer'. he prefers thick, 'aged' coffee from the quickie mart to starbucks. he thinks starbucks (even if just the coffee of the day, or an americano) is nasty. :giggle he favorite coffee is a nice, thick, perculator coffee that's been heating in the pot for several hours.

he doesn't like 'non-dairy creamer', and since he's not much of a milk drinker, it's the cheapest and most convienent way to whiten his coffee.

Marielle
04-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I use condensed milk in recipes and not as much as it's used in my country of origin (shakes made of Malta & condensed milk, boiled CM in the can becomes dulce de leche and there's at least a dictionary's worth of desserts with CM).

Yuliana
04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
I drink my coffee and milk w/ condensed milk. I have done it since I was little, it is the only milk I drink. I make the cuban coffee, mix the condensed milk w/ water in my cup and warm it up in the microwave, then just add the cofee w/out sugar to it.

naturallia
04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
:yes to cook with.

Heather Micaela
04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
well at least I know it does not go to waste when I dontate it :heart

We still have 2 of us on wic (AL and me), and only 2 in the family who use it, so we have WAY to much fluid milk as it is for me to even need to bother with substitutes.

Lavender Lily
04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I drink my coffee and milk w/ condensed milk. I have done it since I was little, it is the only milk I drink. I make the cuban coffee, mix the condensed milk w/ water in my cup and warm it up in the microwave, then just add the cofee w/out sugar to it.

:P~ need to try that one day

Yuliana
04-07-2008, 12:04 PM

You might love it. I have friends that come to my house and ask me to make it for them :giggle

Rea T
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I have several bread recipes that call for powdered milk, that is the only reason I keep it around.

krysmh
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I use canned evaporated (not sweetened condensed) in recipes that call for cream, like alfredo sauce and soups. :)

bliss
04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I use canned evaporated (not sweetened condensed) in recipes that call for cream, like alfredo sauce and soups. :)

Dude, I was going to say that! It is a much cheaper and healthier substitute for heavy cream.
I also keep some powdered milk around for camping, or cooking something that calls for an enormous amount of milk, it's much cheaper if you're going to be using like 6 cups for a sauce or something.

Sweet Life
04-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Do you use it proportionately? i.e. if the recipe calls for 1/2 c. of cream, just use a 1/2c. of evaporated milk?

OliveJuice
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I use powdered milk when making bread from scratch in my bread maker. We also used it for about 2 years at night for ds2 bottle. He only would drink milk in his bottle at night and it was not convienent for us to go downstairs to the fridge for cold milk. This also helped us when we went out. We could take a bottle with water and just mix the powdered milk. (ds2 had his bottle till age 3.5....he was on formula till 18 months...then he went on milk. Most of his milk was whole milk during the day. Bottles were maybe 1 or 2 a night at 4oz a piece)

Synesthesia
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
ew.
I hate both condensed and powered milk.
I'll take mine in a carton or milk bottle.

RealLifeMama
04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Is "condensed milk" the same as Sweetened Condensed Milk/Eagle Brand?
I :heart that stuff, but I do not think of it as a milk substitute and certainly not a nutritious food. A sinful treat, maybe...

When I cook with it, after I pour it all out and there is milk stuck to the sides of the can, I put the can in the freezer. Later, I go eat the sweet, frozen goodness. :yum

ElectricEarth
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I also keep some powdered milk around for camping

Whenever I camped with my family growing up, we always used powdered milk. To this day, the taste brings back fond memories.

Lavender Lily
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM

You might love it. I have friends that come to my house and ask me to make it for them :giggle

can you use regular coffee? is the coffe in the form of expresso or regular strength?

bliss
04-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Do you use it proportionately? i.e. if the recipe calls for 1/2 c. of cream, just use a 1/2c. of evaporated milk?

Not krysmh, but yes, I just swap it one for one.

milkmommy
04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
ew.
I hate both condensed and powered milk.
I'll take mine in a carton or milk bottle.

:shrug if used for recipies the taste doesn't matter. The cost however is way less and for some it makes it a must do.

Deanna

mamaKristin
04-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Are talking sweetened condensed milk or evaporated, canned milk? Because they are quite different.

I use powdered milk in my bread recipe, and for cost reasons have started using it in other recipes.

Heather Micaela
04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Are talking sweetened condensed milk or evaporated, canned milk? Because they are quite different.

I use powdered milk in my bread recipe, and for cost reasons have started using it in other recipes.

You know, I am not sure since I dont need either, I havent paid attention to what the can says. I know my MIL took a few cans once for a recipe :shrug

Yuliana
04-07-2008, 10:40 PM

can you use regular coffee? is the coffe in the form of expresso or regular strength?

You know, I am not really sure because I am not a coffee drinker. I only drink coffee w/ my milk. I know cuban coffee is known for been very strong. So it can't be that very light american coffee.

expatmom
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I would guess it is more like espresso.

Lavender Lily
04-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I would guess it is more like espresso.

must be, my FIL comes from Puerto Rico and he prefers the espresso type but he drinks it straight. :sick

jojola
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
We rarely use fresh milk in our house. I buy powdered every week! It's much cheaper, doesn't go bad, and stores easily.

That said, we don't drink milk, we just use it in recipes, and my husband uses it in coffee.

Condensed milk, except for a sweet recipe or two, I wouldn't know what to do with.

ShangriLewis
04-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Growing up my mom used canned milk for creamer and making cream soups. If we still drank milk I would use it and dry milk for cooking and such. I used to buy the powdered rice for baking.

clementine
04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
:blush
when i was pg with #3, I would look for excuses to open a can of sweetened condensed milk (and eat it with a spoon)...we had lots of punkin pie and cookie bars during that particualr craving phase:)

Yuliana
04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
:blush
when i was pg with #3, I would look for excuses to open a can of sweetened condensed milk (and eat it with a spoon)...we had lots of punkin pie and cookie bars during that particualr craving phase:)

I used to do that when I was little :sick

Marielle
04-08-2008, 04:47 PM
in most latin american countries and in Spain condensed milk is considered a snack food. I remember buying little single serving sized cones (like sour cream cones, that are sealed) and now they come in toothpaste like tubes so kids can keep an open one in their backpack. :/

TuneMyHeart
04-08-2008, 05:05 PM
I've had the same box of powdered milk for years. :giggle I use it when I need several cups of milk for a recipe, especially if I'm taking it to a potluck or family dinner. I don't want to spend $5 on organic milk for banana pudding for a potluck. ;)

I can't imagine eating condensed milk by itself. :sick

Littledisciples
04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I used to be on that program your speaking of. I miss my powdered milk. Now I buy it from the store. I use it for a lot of things. In cooking you can't taste the diffrence. In soup condensed milk is better. I just don't add the water. :rockon

ellies mom
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
My mom uses powdered milk in her hot chocolate mix. She combines it with Nestle quick and when she wants hot chocolate, she just adds water. It is delicious. She buys it in bulk.

Linnis
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
My Dad made us chocolate milk with canned milk, 3 cans of milk 1 of water and chocolate to taste. My Brother and I loved it. We also drank box milk(milk that was somehow preserved to sit on the shelf in boxes like they have stock now) in winter when we couldn't get to the store. We also use powdered milk in recipes that call for milk, home made play dough etc.

What is the name of this program? It sounds interesting.

HomeWithMyBabies
04-08-2008, 05:54 PM
I also keep some powdered milk around for camping

Whenever I camped with my family growing up, we always used powdered milk. To this day, the taste brings back fond memories.

:yes We don't keep it around because ds can't have dairy but I remember camping and the powdered milk.

RealLifeMama
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
in most latin american countries and in Spain condensed milk is considered a snack food. I remember buying little single serving sized cones (like sour cream cones, that are sealed) and now they come in toothpaste like tubes so kids can keep an open one in their backpack. :/

Thanks for posting that! Now I don't feel like such a freak!

and clementine, I have done the same thing! I make breakfast bars with it now....

Happy Mom
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I only use powdered milk. :)

I buy a huge box for 15.00 and it lasts at least a month. Sometimes up to 6 weeks. I have adorable glass milk bottles with clamp down lids, and I mix em' up in those every week. :) Keeps food costs waaaay down, and honestly, I dont notice a difference in the taste. We've always been FF milk people though. :shrug

Proverbs31
04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
yum! sweetened condensed milk in coffee makes Thai coffee (or tea if you prefer)...also used it to make a quick key lime pie or fudge.

evaporated milk makes great mac n cheese.

all this from before I went dairy-free for ds...

krysmh
04-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Not krysmh, but yes, I just swap it one for one.

:yes Sometimes I'll use it instead of regular milk in a recipe as well. You can mix one part evaporated milk to one part water for a substitute there, but if you don't dilute it, then it makes things like a fudgey icing extra creamy.

Quiteria
04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
we used powdered when our fridge was teeny and not working well. My mom uses condensed in her coffee, won't drink coffee any other way.

Marielle
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM

and clementine, I have done the same thing! I make breakfast bars with it now....

Ummm not to derail the thread but would you please share the breakfast bar recipe? I'd love another AM option and if it included CM then woohoo!

RealLifeMama
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Marielle, they are Nigella somebody or other's breakfast bars. She is somebody famous on TV, but since I don't have any of those food shows, I don't know who she is. Anyhow, you can just google "Nigella ______ breakfast bars" and get it. But I will try to post it tomorrow, I must get to bed now.

Heather Micaela
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Ummm not to derail the thread but would you please share the breakfast bar recipe? I'd love another AM option and if it included CM then woohoo!

derail away

The program is the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)
http://www.csfpcentral.org/whatistheCSFP.htm

It has pretty much the same income qualifications of Wic without the hassle of wiegign kids, dr visits, etc. Here it is available to kids for one year more after WiC ends. Also you can use it instead of Wic, but you cant use both. (But a different member of your house can still have Wic) I had both kids on it till J turned 6. C is on it because there is too much dairy in Wic

Littledisciples
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM

derail away

The program is the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)
http://www.csfpcentral.org/whatistheCSFP.htm

It has pretty much the same income qualifications of Wic without the hassle of wiegign kids, dr visits, etc. Here it is available to kids for one year more after WiC ends. Also you can use it instead of Wic, but you cant use both. (But a different member of your house can still have Wic) I had both kids on it till J turned 6. C is on it because there is too much dairy in Wic

I guess it depends on your state. In our state you can get both wic and commodities. I used to get both. The only reason I stopped getting commodities is because it was in walking distance and they moved it due to the workers stealing food from it. So now I can't walk to it. But I still get wic. If I wanted to get commodities I could. Only problem is finding a way to get their since I don't drive. It doesn't matter how old your kids are here you can still get commodities. Wic is tell 5 though.

Marielle
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Amy I think I have that recipe because I too love Nigella Lawson! Plus you know that saying, "don't trust a skinny cook".

crunchymum
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
i remember my mom used to "thin out" our regular milk with powdered milk to make it last longer... you could barely tell if it was in the right ratio.