PDA

View Full Version : Yard question - woodticks *shudder*!

WI Mama05
04-06-2008, 06:18 PM
What can I do about them? They say spring is coming :shifty :P~ and with spring around here comes droves and droves of these disgusting little blood suckers!

Last year I was told to get guinea hens, but honestly I don't have the resources to take care of them and fear they would fall prey to the wildlife. PLUS, I really don't want their poop all over the backyard where the girls will be playing :O.

So do I have any other choices than spraying my kids down with chemicals to keep the buggers off?

HELP!!!!!!!!

Weezie
04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
My first thought- move! :O
My second thought- maybe have dds play in a less rural area during the ticks big season? I've never seen them on this side of WI. Do they look similar to deer ticks? :yuck

WI Mama05
04-06-2008, 06:53 PM
:giggle I wish we could move. They are pretty much everywhere around here. We live in a wooded area too, so that doesn't help. My idea of the kids being able to play outside all day if they wants just comes to a HALT when I think of all those creepy crawlies out there!

They actually live in the railroad ties that make up my garden bed too. :sick2 I HATE LOATHE HATE picking them off the kids. It's so disgusting!

Wood ticks are bigger than deer ticks and are VERY plentiful here in NW WI. They are so gross, but I also worry about the deer ticks and the health implications that can come from the bites of either. I pulled more than I want to count off DD1 last spring/summer. She just FREAKS OUT when she finds one and I bet my attitude doesn't help much. :O

rosesnsnails
04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Here are a few options.

http://infectiousdiseases.about.com/od/prevention/qt/natural_control.htm

Treatment — Diatomaceous Earth Tick Treatment
We offer a special-purpose service to address ticks. Rather than using traditional synthetic pesticides, we use Diatomaceous Earth, which is also called silicon dioxide. Diatomaceous Earth is as chemically inert as road dust, but when properly used, it is very effective against insect pests. Unlike chemical insecticides, Diatomaceous Earth is a mechanical insecticide.

What is the Treatment?
Ticks live on and near wood. As such, our Diatomaceous Earth treatment focuses on wood structures that surround your home and the grass that can provide paths from one wood structure to another. We spread a layer of Diatomaceous Earth (mixed with water) on your wood structures (for example, porches, decks, fences, etc.) and grass. Diatomaceous Earth is highly effective, but to ensure the results you expect, we treat your home twice.

Addressed pests: ticks and scorpions

How Does it Work?
Insects control their body moisture by means of a complex ‘waxy’ coating on the outside of their exoskeletons, i.e., their shells. This coating is naturally porous, which permits slow loss of water and evaporation. If the waxy coating is damaged, the insect suffers serious injury.

Benefits

It is highly effective against ticks.
It replaces traditional synthetic chemical treatments with a naturally occurring substance that works by mechanical means.
Children and pets immediately can walk and play on the areas treated with Diatomaceous Earth.

http://www.xactnatural.com/oursystem/xact_natural_lawn_service.php

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/insect-control.html

HTH :)

WI Mama05
04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks! Great ideas that I'm definitely going to research!