PDA

View Full Version : When dh has a clutter problem...

TraceMama
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
What do you do?! :shrug How do you declutter the house if your dh wants to hold on to so much stuff?

Here's an example from my life this last week. Blue Eyes has a dollar-store butterfly net; he loves to play with it, but sometimes plays inappropriately with it (throws it with a ball in it across the basement). He was told not to play with it like that. Cousins were over, the net went flying, it hit the ceiling, the handle broke. Yippee! I thought, I get to throw it out, it's broken and it's a great consequence for not treating the toy as he should. :yes

What does dh do?! He rescues the toy, puts the end back on, uses some duck tape and ta-da presents it to Blue Eyes with a shorter handle. :hunh His reasoning: "I don't want to teach him that we live in a throw-away society" :doh So, it looks like that's going to be the standard line to keep us from throwing things away. :mad

Today, overwhelmed by the garage and encouraged by the good weather, I told dh that I just wanted to get some stuff out to the curb. There's a ton to throw away. His response: I don't see a ton to throw away, just stuff that needs to be put away. We can't put all of it away! :hissyfit It's junk, it's trash, we might *maybe* one day need it, but probably not, he won't read a de-clutter book I'm sure of it, and we don't have cash for a professional organizer. ARGH!

HELP! :blah Please tell me I'm not the only one who deals with this. And, what do you do to handle it? It's like he feels threatened or something by decluttering. :shrug

ThreeKids
04-05-2008, 12:09 PM
You could rent a storage unit and only send the trash. Then, convince your dh to save money by bringing the good stuff back and throwing away the rest. He might be able to get his head around the idea that it's trash if it's not worth bringing back into the house.

mom2threegirls
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
We have a very similar problem here... I keep mine and the kids stuff pretty well decluttered so dh's stuff is more obvious, and his clutter has specific places- his office and the garage mainly. Those are "his" spots where he works, putters, etc, so if they are cluttered he really feels it. He LOVES things to be minimalistic and organized (which totally clashes with his tendency to hold on to stuff ;)) so when it starts piling up he's much more likely to take care of it or come up with a way of organizing. I've been able to help this process along by keeping my stuff to a minimum in the garage (so he can't blame the mess on my stuff)- I have a spot for my van in there and I've totally decluttered the rest out so it's just DH's stuff, useful and not so useful.

Is there a space where you can put his stuff that is "his" space so he's more likely to take care of it? I suppose this is kind of the same thing as the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle chapter where the boy gets trapped in his room because of all his stuff :giggle.

klpmommy
04-05-2008, 02:57 PM
:popcorn lots & lots of :popcorn

TraceMama
04-07-2008, 05:07 AM
:popcorn