PDA

View Full Version : Need Easy Salad Input, Quickly!

RealLifeMama
04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I am trying to throw together a side dish salad. I had a plan, but the store was out of my key ingredient. A can of kidney beans made its way into my cart unbeknownst to me, thanks to N, so I am now going to make a bean salad. :giggle
DH bought a huge, I mean huge, container of sour cream last week. So, I want to use it as well.

Do you think it would be OK for me to make a salad with the following ingredients?

Black beans [currently cooking]
kidney beans
corn
red onion
red pepper
sour cream mixed w/ some taco seasoning
a little shredded carrot
a little shredded cheddar cheese

Think that would come out OK?
Anything that sounds icky, or that I should add?
I have no bottled dressing or jar salsa. Most of the salads I see recipes for like this have those, and I have neither.

Thanks!

mamaKristin
04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I've done this salad before that went over really well:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Bean-Salad/Detail.aspx

it doesn't have sour cream though.

I don't know if I would mix sour cream in with the other ingredients, but that's my taste buds talking.

Ali
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
You can definitely do a bean salad with sour cream. I have one where you mix mayo or mircale whip with the sour cream. It makes it a little more dressing-like. What you have sounds delicious!

RealLifeMama
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Ali, could you tell me what your salad has in it?
Thanks!

Kristin, the one you posted sounded yummy but I don't have all that stuff, nor time to make dressing w/ all that.
I am saving it in my box, though.

Ali
04-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm probably too late, but here is the one I have made a couple times. I do it by heart, so I am not totally sure about the exact amounts.

3 cans beans, any kind, draned and rinsed
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 can sliced olives, drained
1 diced tomato

Mix seasoning, mayo, sour cream together - let set in fridge for 30 min. Add beans and onion and stir gently. Top with olives and tomato.

Marielle
04-04-2008, 04:58 PM
another one that's too late but I got this from another mom I know and have been wanting to try it:

Bean Salad

Ingredients:

1 package edamame cooked and rinsed (I left these out last time since I can only find ones from china and put in 2 cans of mixed instead)
1 can mixed beans rinsed (the ones I buy are garbanzo, pinto, and kidney)
1 can black beans rinsed
cucumber chopped
red pepper chopped
4 green onions chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
2 stalks celery minced
salt and pepper
1/3 c brown rice vinegar (other vinegars work also, this is just my favorite)
1/4 c olive oil

Directions:
Mix together and serve at room temp or cold. This gets better the longer it sits in the fridge.

Ali
04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
How did it turn out?